- ) Placed second in the UK, and 86th globally in the 2018 Times Higher Education Young University Rankings
- ? 23 National Teaching Fellowships in HE since 2000
- @ Guardian University Awards: 2013 winner – Student Experience
- ? Times Higher Education Awards: 2014 winner – outstanding employer engagement
- @ Guardian University Awards: 2015 winner for Social and Community Impact
- > The first university to be awarded the Social Enterprise Mark
- ( Over 4,500 University of Plymouth students per year benefit from placements and work-based learning
- ? Whatuni Student Choice Awards: 4th in the international category in 2018
- @ Teaching Excellence Framework - Silver
University of Plymouth: the facts and stats
- * £24m contracting with local businesses
- < 80 partnerships in over 30 countries
- ( 13,000 off-campus students enrolled on the University of Plymouth degrees
- ' £155m invested in the campus over the past eight years, including The Marine Station, The House and The Health and Wellbeing Centre
- 4 We oversee a £100m network of business support facilities, including incubation, innovation and science park infrastructure
- < An alumni community with more than 135,000 graduates in 135 countries
- + The first and only post-1992 university to launch its own medical and dental school
- A Top 50 employer, ranked third best employer in the education sector, behind only the University of Cambridge and University of Oxford, 2016
- ' Best Bar None Silver Award for our Students' Union
Latest awards and accreditations
- Plymouth Parkinson’s Service wins at national industry awards 18 June 2019
- Dementia champion awarded British Empire Medal in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list 7 June 2019
- Epilepsy monitoring app team wins second BMJ Award 26 April 2019
- University technicians in the running for Papin Prizes 27 March 2019
- Advance HE awards 10,000th Senior Fellowship to Plymouth academic 6 February 2019
- Optometry student wins national award 24 January 2019
Awards in detail
Queen's Anniversary Prize
In 2012 we were awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize in recognition of our worldwide reputation for marine and maritime education and research.
One of the most prestigious awards in UK Higher Education, it was presented to Professor Wendy Purcell, President, University of Plymouth by the Queen at a special ceremony at Buckingham Palace.
We're also one of the few universities to have won the award twice, after winning the Queen's Anniversary Prize for widening access to education in rural communities in 1994.
Social Enterprise Mark
The University of Plymouth became the first university in the world to be awarded the Social Enterprise Mark, in recognition of our long-standing support for the sector. The award demonstrates our social value to the wider world and community, and is testament to the commitment, energy and vision that we pride ourselves on.
Stonewall Diversity Champions
In September 2013 we were proud to join the acclaimed Stonewall Diversity Champions programme, Britain's good practice employers’ forum on sexual orientation. This partnership means that as a university we receive one-to-one advice from Stonewall’s workplace team, and benefit from an extensive network of over a hundred high-profile employers.
Higher Education Academy strategic partner 2016-17
Social Enterprise Mark
Athena SWAN Bronze Award
A member of the campaign to promote women in science, technology and engineering.
Stonewall Diversity Champion
Sustainable Restaurant Association award SRA
Psychology eBooks project received the Guardian university award for teaching excellence
Green Gown awards
Global Entrepreneurship Week
Signatory of The Magna Charta Universitatum
Teaching Excellence Framework Silver