Welcome to the Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group (CTPS) at Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PUPSMD). The group forms part of the University’s flagship Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED), focusing on the development, testing and evaluation of new therapeutics, diagnostics, interventions and preventative approaches.
In addition, areas of our work connect researchers, expertise and activity across both ITSMed and the University’s Institute for Health and Community (IHC) and Cognition Institute (CI), to investigate and evaluate treatments and preventative approaches across the healthcare sector.
CTPS group lead
The Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group (CTPS) hosts:
- Large epidemiological studies and trials from cancer to multiple sclerosis, mental health to diabetes, Parkinson’s disease to dementia and health improvement through behaviour change, diet and exercise, smoking cessation and interventions to address alcohol and substance misuse.
- Our high-impact, interdisciplinary Community and Primary Care Research Group, working in Public Health research as part of the National Institute for Health Research Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care South West Peninsula (NIHR PenCLAHRC).
- The UKCRC registered Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU).
- Our dedicated Medical Statistics team, providing statistical analysis and support across a wide range of biomedical and clinical research areas.
- Our Clinician led medical research group, conducting clinical trials focused research to develop and evaluate novel drugs, medical treatments and diagnostics for patient benefit.
- Internationally renowned expertise in design and validation of Patient Outcome Scales, cognitive assessment apps and eHealth tools within our Clinical Neurology group.
- Our Oral health services research and Obesity & diabetes research teams.
- NIHR Research Design Service South West, supporting the preparation of applications for applied health or social care research, providing expert advice on research design and methodology.
- Dementia champion awarded British Empire Medal in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list 7 June 2019
- Dementia expert helps Premiership rugby players become Dementia Friends 18 April 2019
- Combating lung disease worldwide – event to showcase University’s leading work in rehab and education 28 March 2019
- Plymouth woman quits 33-year smoking habit thanks to research project – and you could too this New Year 1 January 2019
- ‘Floundering without support’ – a dementia carer’s story on why new research is vital 25 October 2018
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
Hands on learning, exceptional partnerships and patient-focused research. Train with us to be a doctor, dentist or medical researcher of tomorrow.Discover more about the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry