First aid

Occupational Health Service 

The Occupational Health Service does not deal with medical or first aid emergencies. However, we are responsible for ensuring all new first aiders are seen after completing their First Aid at Work course, and provided with guidance notes and information regarding purchasing first aid boxes. 

First aid boxes can be purchased from any supplier, providing they are HSE approved First Aid at Work boxes, there are numerous suppliers on line. If inheriting a box from a colleague, it is important to check stock levels and ensure all stock is in date  

All staff authorised to provide first aid on University premises have completed the First Aid at Work course and exam accredited by the Health and Safety Executive, (HSE).

What to do in an emergency?

If there is a serious medical emergency: phone 999 or 112 for an urgent ambulance, ensuring that security are notified that you have called for an ambulance. Give them full details of your whereabouts in order to allow access to the campus and directions can be given on arrival.

If the patient can be moved either:

  • decide whether the patient should be taken to an appropriate accident service, or
  • encourage the patient to contact their GP for advice or an appointment.

Any accident that occurs on University premises, however slight, must be reported to the Safety Office by completing the University Accident Report Form. This can be found on the health and safety community.