Who are you?
The Alumni Engagement Team at the University of Plymouth work to engage alumni in the life of the University by connecting alumni with each other and our students, developing a range of benefits and services for alumni and offering ways for alumni to support the University. Our aim is to develop lifelong relationships with our alumni that are beneficial to both our graduates and the University, for example, through alumni mentoring current students.
How do you collect data about me?
will collect data about you from the University’s records and the records of
our academic partner institutions and will update these from information you
provide to us through various other sources, for example, you may update us or
other University staff by email or provide us with information by attending an
continuously review records of alumni to ensure your data is as accurate as
possible. We may therefore consult alternative sources in order to do so,
e.g. Royal Mail address files, BT phone directories, reviewing job information
that you have made available via social media channels, such as LinkedIn or
Facebook (as per their Privacy Policies), newspaper articles, company websites
and other publicly available sources.
What data do you collect?
From the University records we will collect summary data about you including contact details, date of birth and degree. That may be supplemented by information you provide to us through other sources as explained above.
We do not collect or store any ‘sensitive’ information unless provided by you for a specific purpose such as disability status for event management.
Any data you provide will be stored securely on our alumni database. It will be treated confidentially and in accord with current data protection legislation.
We consider our relationship with you to be lifelong so we will continue to use your data to contact you unless we hear from you.
What will you do with my data?
We use your personal information for the following:
- alumni activities and programmes involving academic and administrative departments;
- the promotion of benefits and services
- fundraising programmes including direct marketing (such as receipt of
University publications), telephone and email fundraising.
Will my data be
We will only share your data with other departments within the University. We will never sell your data to other companies or charities.
We may also share your data where data processors provide us with a particular service – such as hosting the Alumni database. In these situations, contracts containing appropriate contractual terms around data protection will be in place.
We will email you about benefits and services, events which you may be interested in and to share University news, we may ask for your feedback on developments at the University or ask you to take part in research which we are undertaking. If at any point you would like to stop receiving emails from the the University please use the unsubscribe link at the foot of an email or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you choose to opt-out of receiving communications please note we will retain minimal information in order to ensure you receive no further correspondence from us.
Plymouth Connect is the online community for Plymouth University alumni, current students and staff. It enables you to:
- reconnect with your old University friends
- search for graduates around the world
- share your career expertise and knowledge by becoming a Career Champion and supporting our current students
- find a graduate to offer you support as you take that first step on the career ladder
- get advice on your next move and how to progress in your chosen career
- update your details simply and easily
- quick and easy to join
- The data controller is the University of Plymouth
- Its data protection representative can be contacted at email@example.com
- We will handle your information in accordance with your consent. If you wish to withdraw your consent, you may do so at any point by contacting the Alumni Engagement Team at firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that we would still retain your summary record in order to prevent you being contacted again.
- You have the right to ask us for access to, rectification or erasure of your data; to restrict processing (pending correction or deletion); to object to communications or direct marketing; and to transfer your data electronically to a third party (data portability). Please contact email@example.com should you wish to exercise your rights.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/