Students are given the opportunity to self select subject areas to study. SSUs allow students to further their skills of Self-Directed Learning (SDL), critical thinking and scientific and analytical skills. Students start to develop an extensive and diverse portfolio.
SSUs cover all five years of the BDS degree and students have the chance to work with providers from the NHS, University staff and the community.
Through the time spent on SSUs, students will acquire professional attitudes, knowledge and skills to successfully perform.
Years 1 and 2
- Period: 2-3 weeks
- Theme: Community Placements
Year 3 to 5
- Theme: Clinical Investigation and Clinical Case Analysis
- Learn and use research skills
- Study topics of particular interest outside of the core curriculum
- Develop confidence of skills and abilities
- Present results verbally, visually or in written format
- Experience different clinical environments
- Provided by external experts