Exchange opportunities for international students

If you are an international student looking to spend part of your degree at Plymouth you've come to the right place. Plymouth welcomes exchange students from all over the world, and the team at Plymouth Global is here to help guide you through the opportunities that may be available to you.

  • Broaden your mind and your horizons.
  • Adapt to different cultures and work patterns.
  • Improve your job prospects (employers like multi-cultural employees).
  • Improve your language skills.

We offer three types of exchange

1: Bilateral exchanges  

A bilateral exchange is a swap between two students. This occurs due to special partnerships that have been developed by our faculties, departments and courses with individual overseas institutions (outside of the EU). Exchanges are usually subject area specific – for example a swap between two history students. 

Bilateral exchanges take place with partner institutions that we know, and know us well, and where courses in both institutions are complimentary providing synergy. 

To find out if your university has a direct link with us please contact your study abroad office at your home university. 

We've put together a list of our bilateral partners to help both University of Plymouth and international exchange students get a feel of what might be available.

2. Erasmus+ 

The Erasmus+ programme offers undergraduate and postgraduate students from our European partners the opportunity to study/work at the University of Plymouth.  We work closely with these institutions enabling us to offer good and productive exchange opportunities for our incoming students. 

To be eligible for an Erasmus+ exchange you must be a registered student at one of our Erasmus+ partner universities.  

Your home university will select and nominate students to study at the University of Plymouth according to the Erasmus agreement held between our institutions. Once this selection process has taken place, your university will contact us with these details. On acceptance of these nominations, students will be contacted with details about how to apply to the programme. 

Further eligibility and application information

3. International Student Exchange Program (ISEP)

The University of Plymouth has been part of the ISEP family since 1984, and in that time we've welcomed many international students pursuing an international experience.

To find out more and make an application you'll need to contact your home university's designated ISEP coordinator and register an account on the ISEP website. Find out about application deadlines to ensure that you don't miss out.

Further information can be found on the ISEP website.

General University of Plymouth entry requirements

Academic requirements

Applicants for our exchange programmes are expected to meet the high academic standards required of our full-degree entrants. You can apply to be an exchange student if we have an exchange relationship with your institution in the appropriate subject area. You should speak to your home university's exchanges department to find out what is available. 

The University of Plymouth requires exchange students to have completed a minimum of one year of a university degree, and the majority of exchange students join us during year two of a three year degree course.

English language requirements

If your first language is not English you must have a standard level of English that will enable you to benefit fully from your course of study. As part of the application process, EEA nationals must provide a 'statement of English language competency' confirming that you meet the minimum requirement of English language specified in the agreement held between our institutions. Non-EEA nationals requiring a visa to study in the UK must submit an English language certificate.

Plymouth's English Language Centre offers a range of courses to help you develop your academic English language skills – both before (pre-sessional courses) and during (term-time workshops) your studies.

Traineeship with the Plymouth Global team

Laura Tormo, a third year International Business, Marketing and Commercial Management student from Spain undertook a traineeship with the Plymouth Global team.

"The University of Plymouth and the Plymouth Global team did everything possible to make my stay in the UK as pleasant as possible...I believe that everybody should do a traineeship or study abroad at least once in their lives. This kind of experience allows you to grow as a person because it exposes you to other cultures, traditions and ways of thinking."

Read more about Laura's experience at Plymouth