IELTS Academic Tests after 6 April 2015
Plymouth University continues to accept the IELTS (academic) test for study at and below degree level. To study a pre-sessional (English Language) course applicants must take the IELTS academic test at a UKVI approved test centre and obtain the required scores to meet UKVI and Plymouth University requirements. To study on an undergraduate, postgraduate taught or postgraduate research degree programme, the University will accept IELTS academic tests taken at non-UKVI approved test centres. Applicants must obtain the required scores to meet UKVI and Plymouth University requirements. Plymouth University does not accept the IELTS Life Skills test for either pre-sessional or degree programmes.
It is the responsibility of applicants to ensure they are sitting the appropriate test at the correct type of test centre, that will allow them to apply for the visa they require for study. We strongly recommend that applicants register to take the IELTS academic test at a UKVI approved test centre if there is the possibility they will need to study on a pre-sessional programme, as tests taken at a non-UKVI approved centre cannot be used for Tier 4 visa applications for pre-sessional courses.
1. Your test scores must be deemed valid. If your test results are too old to be valid (as per UKVI and University requirements), you may be required to re-take a relevant test.
2. English language qualifications will be verified with the awarding body where possible. If verification is not possible you may be asked to supply original documents or an alternative English language qualification if we have concerns about the documentation provided.
3. Your English language ability will be assessed from your most recent English language test or qualification, older tests will be disregarded even if they show a higher score.
4. This table represents the current English language requirements for degree level study at Plymouth University and Plymouth University International College (PUIC). It incorporates UKVI (Home Office) minimum English Language scores and requirement where appropriate, and is accurate at the time of publication (April 2017) but may be subject to change at any time.
5. Other qualifications may be considered - please ask when you apply.
6. This table only shows minimum requirements for entry. Some programmes will have higher English language requirements.
7. Applicants to postgraduate programmes who hold a first degree (bachelor's degree) from a majority English language speaking country (as defined by UKVI at the time of application) won't usually be required to meet other postgraduate English language requirements as listed above. This will be confirmed as part of your application process.