We have an active research programme in understanding the environmental behaviour, fate and impact of nutrients, organic compunds and metals in terrestrial, atmospheric and aquatic systems. These studies contribute to decision support tools (models) for environmental management.
Environmental Analytical Chemistry
Environmental hypothesis generation and testing must be underpinned by sound analytical chemistry measurements. This presents challenges to the analytical science community, not least in developing reliable techniques and methods for monitoring key species, e.g. macronutrients and trace metals in environmental matrices such as natural waters and soils.
- Sea ice nurtures polar food webs
- Lauren Dawson presents at the 23rd International Symposium on Environmental Biogeochemistry.
- Dr Sean Comber invited to UK-Israel workshop on emerging environmental contaminants.
- Plymouth welcomes new PhD researcher Mr Rupert Goddard.
- Visiting Scientist Dr Kai Zhang (CRAES) presents to the BGC.
- BGC scientists receive NERC funding to assess how iron availability affects carbon removal to the deep waters of the Southern Ocean.
- Congratulation to Antony Burchill on his award of PhD.
- BEACh researchers Charly Braungardt and Alison Turner present at IMWA.
- BEACh researchers Sean Comber, Kat Lees and Simone Bagnis present at SETAC.
- Congratulations to Dr Simon Ussher who has just been promoted to Associate Professor.
- Paul Worsfold awarded a Visiting Fellowship at the University of Tasmania.
- Transfer of flow injection technologies from Plymouth to the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, Chengdu.
Postgraduate Research Students
An essential component of our School research environment
Our research students work on a range of funded projects across all disciplines associated with the school.Visit our postgraduate research student page.
Dr Sean Comber
Associate Professor (Reader) in Environmental Chemistry
Professor Tom Hutchinson
Professor of Environment and Health Sciences
Professor Paul Worsfold
Dr Charlotte Braungardt
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) in Environmental Science
Professor Mark Fitzsimons
Professor of Environmental Chemistry
Dr Luke Holmes
Project Support Officer
Dr Richard Sandford
Lecturer in Environmental Science (Education)
Dr Alan Tappin
Lecturer in Environmental Chemistry
Dr Andrew Turner
Associate Professor (Reader) in Environmental Sciences
Dr Simon Ussher
Associate Professor of Marine and Analytical Chemistry
Dr Angela Milne
Lecturer in Environmental Science
Dr Paul Lunt
Associate Professor in Environmental Science