Welcome to the University of Plymouth’s Institute of Health and Community (IHC) a multi-disciplinary Institute with a vibrant research culture and a focus on innovation and client-focused research. The key areas of research below define the scope of the Institute and reflect our expertise, scholarly interests and passions:
- applied health, including rehabilitation, developing and evaluating healthcare for vulnerable groups and safe patient care
- developing the healthcare workforce
- public health, health promotion and wellbeing
- eHealth and technology
- societal and global health challenges
- methodological skills
- lifelong learning and social justice.
Members of the IHC come from a diverse range of disciplines including clinical academics, health and social care practitioners, academics, education and public services. The IHC has 11 research groups, facilitating inter-disciplinary and cross-faculty research. Individual members can be found within the research group pages below. In addition, we are home to four initiatives in collaboration with the NHS, local authority and charities and businesses: South West Clinical Schools, Public Health Forum, Global Collaboration Initiative and the University of Plymouth Centre for Innovations in Health and Social Care; a Joanna Briggs Institute Centre of Excellence.
We work closely with the University of Plymouth’s Cognition Institute, the Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine and The Arts Institute in jointly developing funding bids, publishing and in hosting training and conferences.
Throughout the year, the IHC runs a wide range of events and seminar series focused on wide-ranging topics including the development of complex interventions, methodological issues, nutrition, education, masterclasses in vision, and Global Health cafés.
Our events are open to all, advertised on our web pages and we warmly invite you to come and participate.
Professor Jill Shawe
Learning and Social Justice through the life-course
Centre for Health Technology
Comparative Research in Social Policy (CRiSP)
Development and Evaluation of Complex Interventions
Dietetics, Human Nutrition and Health
Participation In Everyday Life
Eye and Vision Sciences
Innovations in PAtient Care and qualiTy (ImPACT)
Maternal and Family Health
IHC Seminar Series
- South West Clinical Schools Torbay and South Devon: End of Life Care Symposium 2 October 2019 10:00 - 12:30
- South West Clinical Schools Torbay and South Devon: Communications in Challenging Situations at End of Life Care Masterclass 2 October 2019 14:00 - 16:00
- IHC Plymouth Public Health Forum 2 October 2019 13:30 - 17:00
- Reintegration, hospitality and hostility: Songwriting and song-sharing in criminal justice 9 October 2019 15:00 - 17:00
- Rehabilitation Research Group Lecture Series 16 October 2019 12:00 - 13:00