Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, the University of Plymouth's Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK.
We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions.
We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities.
Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Did you know...?
Marine Institute news
- University works with global partners to provide unique Masters programme in marine conservation 11 December 2018
- £1million research programme explores human impacts on remote marine environment 11 December 2018
- Microplastics research highlighted as one of UK’s 100 best university breakthroughs 6 December 2018
- Scientists earn awards for global impact of microplastics research 4 December 2018
- Billions of nanoparticles accumulate in marine organisms within six hours 3 December 2018