Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, the University of Plymouth's Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK.
We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions.
We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities.
Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Did you know...?
Marine Institute news
- Limits on pot fishing can result in win-win for fishermen and marine wildlife 17 July 2019
- University listed among the world’s best for engineering research and impact 8 July 2019
- Project aims to preserve the unique seas around the Isles of Scilly 3 July 2019
- Evolution of life in the ocean changed 170 million years ago 1 July 2019
- Using art to foster our love of the coastline 26 June 2019