Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, the University of Plymouth's Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK.
We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions.
We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities.
Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Did you know...?
Marine Institute news
- Lionfish culls aim to preserve marine species and habitats in the Mediterranean Sea 22 May 2019
- University teams up with eXXpedition to tackle the plastics in our oceans 21 May 2019
- Reverse-engineered computer model provides insights into larval behaviour 20 May 2019
- Study explores the use of robots and artificial intelligence to understand the deep-sea 10 May 2019
- Marine expert invited to join new Defra science advisory group 3 May 2019
What's on events
- The Challenge of Science Leadership 4 June 2019 - 6 June 2019
- Marine Institute - student talks 12 June 2019 19:00 - 21:00
- Marine Institute - student talks 13 June 2019 19:00 - 21:00
- Fifth Sea Level and Coastal Change Field Conference: Devon and Cornwall 1 September 2019 - 4 September 2019