Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, the University of Plymouth's Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK.
We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions.
We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities.
Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Did you know...?
Marine Institute news
- University secures cutting edge unmanned marine vessel to support Devon businesses 11 September 2019
- Citizen scientists asked to help the fight against venomous predators in the Mediterranean 9 September 2019
- A Mayflower for a new generation 6 September 2019
- University scientist joins world experts to ask big questions about blue carbon 5 September 2019
- Young people get to see ocean science in action during week-long sailing experience 2 September 2019
What's on events
- Empowering Women in the Maritime Community 26 September 2019
- Marine turtles and climate change 9 October 2019 18:00 - 19:15
- The Problem with Plastics by Liz Bonnin 21 October 2019 19:00 - 20:00
- 68th Annual Meeting of the British Phycological Society 6 January 2020 - 9 January 2020