Featured news and events
Towards a sustainable Earth
The Sustainable Earth Institute is about promoting a new way of thinking about the future of our world.
We bring researchers together with businesses, community groups and individuals to develop cutting-edge research and innovative approaches that build resilience to global challenges. We link diverse research areas across the University including science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business.
If you’re an academic looking for a connection to industry, an organisation looking for academic research support or an individual who is inspired to work towards a sustainable future then contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how we can help.
We need to celebrate and recognise our complex, dynamic, and unique world - after all, good planets are hard to find.
Professor Iain Stewart, Director of the Sustainable Earth Institute
The University of Plymouth are proud to be a partner on the Agri-Tech Cornwall project, a £10million initiative to help the United Kingdom become a world leader in agricultural technology and sustainability.
Researchers from the University will share their expertise and collaborate with small and medium-sized Cornish companies to research the future sustainability of the sector.
United Downs Deep Geothermal Power
The United Downs Geothermal Power project (UDDGP) is an innovative multi-partner, cross-disciplinary endeavour to explore if geothermal technology can produce commercial energy in the UK. The project will run for three years and is funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
Researchers from geology, psychology and sociology at the University of Plymouth will undertake research relating to the public perception and communication of geothermal power, geothermal technologies and the subsurface environment.
- Making positive changes for the future of our planet at Sustainable Earth 2018 12 June 2018
- University gets UNESCO backing to enhance global geoscience awareness 12 June 2018
- University commits to reduction of single use plastics 8 June 2018
- University of Plymouth welcomes entrepreneurs from Malaysia 10 May 2018
- University wins national newspaper award for sustainability 25 April 2018
- Tamar Valley Food Hubs 27 July 2018 15:30 - 15:45
- Tamar Valley Food Hubs 3 August 2018 15:30 - 15:45
- Tamar Valley Food Hubs 10 August 2018 15:30 - 15:45
- Tamar Valley Food Hubs 17 August 2018 15:30 - 15:45
- Can the UK be a world leader? How a new Environment Act could help save the planet 5 October 2018
Sustainability courses and programmes
Plymouth offers a range of sustainability themed courses and programmes, including architecture, entrepreneurship, consultancy, design, engineering and planning.Find out more about our courses and programmes
Professor Stephen Sterling, Chair of the Sustainability Executive Group
A whole institutional approach to sustainability
University of Plymouth has an established reputation both nationally and internationally as a leader in the higher education sector for sustainability.Find out more about sustainability at Plymouth