Welcome to the University of Plymouth’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED).Headquartered in the University’s prestigious new £17M Derriford Research Facility, next door to University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust, ITSMED brings together world-class research strengths in both basic laboratory and translational clinical science, providing a strong, collaborative, interdisciplinary environment to develop high-impact, translational research of clinical relevance.
The Institute hosts two major research groups, Biomedical Research Group and Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group, with combined facilities and resources that cluster researchers with recognised expertise from across the Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD) and beyond.
ITSMED is home to the University of Plymouth's internationally renowned Brain Tumour Research Centre of Excellence.
Our focus is on three core research themes: Cancer, Clinical Neuroscience and Infection, Immunity, Inflammation, facilitated by cross-cutting expertise in Diagnostics, Clinical Trials and Public Health research.
This translational research is enabled by the University of Plymouth’s UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) registered Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU), Medical Statistics, Systems Biology Centre and Light Microscopy teams.
Our research strengths were confirmed by the excellent results from our submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 which ranked us first in the UK for quality of research outputs in clinical medicine, above medical schools at Oxford and Cambridge.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Derriford Research Facility - opening symposium
Join us to celebrate the opening of the Derriford Research Facility – the prestigious, new headquarters of the University of Plymouth’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED).
This all-day event will feature invited key-note speakers and showcase ITSMED's world-class clinical and biomedical research.Registration and further information on the symposium
- Plymouth researcher co-authors landmark study on malaria – new findings could contribute to vaccine 9 April 2018
- New bus to raise awareness of world-leading research 3 April 2018
- 30-day project to fund pulmonary rehab centre in Uganda 1 April 2018
- HRH The Princess Royal to open life-changing health and medical research facility 21 March 2018
- New research sheds light on underlying cause of stroke 15 March 2018
Future seminars and events
- Repair Schwann cells in nerve injury 25 April 2018 16:30 - 17:30
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine – Derriford Research Facility Opening Symposium 16 May 2018 09:30 - 16:35
- Adventures in Mycobacterial Drug Discovery: tackling the real Beast from the East 17 May 2018 16:30 - 17:30
- Laboratory Tour 13 June 2018 16:00 - 18:00
- Laboratory Tour 12 September 2018 16:00 - 18:00