Research funding skills
Research and Innovation provides a range of training to help you find funding sources and write successful applications.
In addition to the four central funding courses listed below, we are also available to work with Schools, Institutes and Faculties to provide bespoke training. Examples of bespoke courses that we can deliver include:
- Application review sessions, e.g. to develop applications before submission or consider unsuccessful applications and how they can be improved
- Funder or programme specific sessions, e.g. Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund, Global Challenges Research Fund
- Introduction to research funding for early career researchers.
How to book
To book on to a training course, please email our team inbox with the title and date of the event you wish to attend.
1. Overview of Research & Innovation services
This session provides an introduction to the different services provided by R&I including:
- Research application support and costing
- Commercial research and consultancy through UoPEL
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP)
- Guidance on research impact
- Research ethics
- Intellectual property and research commercialisation advice
- Business incubation and innovation services
- Enterprise Solutions.
- 14.00 Tuesday 16 October 2018
- 10.00 Thursday 17 January 2019
- 10.00 Tuesday 21 May 2019.
2. How to write a successful research application
Learn to prepare your research application in a way that maximises its chances of success.
- 10.00 Thursday 15 November 2018
- 14.00 Tuesday 5 March 2019
3. How do funders review and assess funding applications?
This course provides an insight into funding review processes and how funding decisions are made.
- 10.00 Thursday 8 November 2018
- 14.00 Tuesday 9 April 2019
4. Research Professional
Interactive sessions to set up your personal alerts for new and forthcoming funding opportunities to increase your chances of early grant capture.
- 10.00 Tuesday 23 October 2018
- 14.00 Thursday 6 December 2018
- 10.00 Tuesday 7 May 2019
UKRO Annual Visit
In addition to our regular training sessions we host an annual visit from the UK Research Office in Brussels on all aspects of EU research funding.
Details of the 2019 event on 5 February will be published here soon.