- In the recent assessment of University research, 80 per cent of our work was considered world class. Only Oxford, Cambridge and London Imperial equalled or bettered this, and our research into solar cells and communications feeds directly into our teaching and final year projects.
- In electronics we are world-renowned for our research into nanotechnology, biosensors, spintronics, information storage, telecommunications and renewable energy.
- We are actively involved with leading industries through consultancy and KTP projects. This allows our students to study real life research applications.
- Winner of 2011 KTP Award for Business Impact with Bombardier Transportation UK Ltd.
Major research themes in robotics include:
- Cognitive robotics: building next generation thinking robots that can safely operate in close proximity to people.
- Humanoid robots: we have a world-leading research programme in walking bipedal robots and currently hold two world records in robot athletics.
- Service robots: such as robots providing support to people with reduced mobility.
- Human-robot interaction: robots that interact with you as other people would.
Find out more about the research undertaken by the Centre for Robotics and Neural Systems (CRNS).