Dr Chloe Milsom
Lecturer in Biomedical Sciences (Education)
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health: Medicine, Dentistry and Human Sciences)
Lecturer in Biomedical Sciences
I joined PMSD in September 2017. I am very excited to be a member of the teaching team and to be able to share some of my research knowledge.
I have 15 years of experience in cancer research. I obtained a PhD in Medical Sciences from McMaster University (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) in 2009, where I was also a teaching assistant (PBL facilitator) in the School of Nursing. The focus of my research thesis was the regulation of tumour angiogenesis and tumour growth by oncogenes, the coagulation system and cancer stem cells. My first postdoctoral position was in a preclinical translational laboratory at Sunnybrook Research Institute (Toronto, Ontario, Canada), where I worked on developing effective and less toxic therapies for early and late stage metastatic cancers. My second postdoctoral position was at the Stem Cell and Cancer Stem Cell Research Institute (Hamilton, Ontario), where I was able to contribute to two very interesting research articles published in Cell Reports, before returning to the UK in June 2015.I have contributed to 30 publications and presented my work at several national and international conferences. I have been the recipient of several competitive federal (Canada) and provincial (Ontario) research fellowships. In 2010, I was awarded one of the L’Oreal Canada for Women in Science Research Excellence Fellowships with support from the Canadian Commission for UNESCO.
I am interested in how to implement active learning, how to give meaningful feedback and how to develop my teaching practice through reflection.
1. Kwan V,Meka DP, White SH, Hung CL, Holzapfel NT, Walker S, Murtaza N, Unda BK,Schwanke B, Yuen RK, Habing K, Milsom C,Hope KJ, Truant R, Scherer SW, Calderon de Anda F, Singh KK. (2016) DIXDC1 Phosphorylation and Control of DendriticMorphology are Impaired by Rare Genetic Variants. Cell Rep. 17(7): 1892-1904.
2. Lee JH., Mitchell RR., McNicol JD., Shapovalova Z., Laronde S.,Tanasijevic B., Milsom C., CasadoF., Fiebig-Comyn A., Collins TJ., Singh KK and Bhatia M. (2015) SingleTranscription Factor Conversion of Human Blood Fate to NPCs with CNS and ONSDevelopmental Capacity. Cell Rep.11(9):1367-76.
3. Magnus M., Meehan B., Garnier D., Hashemi M., Montermini L., Lee TH., Milsom C., Pawlinski R., Ohlfest J,Anderson M., Mackman N. and Rak J. (2014) The Contribution of Tumour and HostTissue Factor Expression to Oncogene-Driven Gliomagenesis. Biochem. Biophy. Res. Commun. 454(2): 262-8.
4. MagnusN., Garnier D., Meehan B., McGraw S, LeeT.H., Caron M., Bourque G., Milsom C.,Trasler J., Pawlinski R., Mackman N., Jabado N. and Rak J. (2014) Tissue factorexpression provokes escape from tumor dormancy and leads to genomic alterations. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111(9): 3544-9.
5. Milsom C., Lee C., Hackl C.,Man S. and Kerbel R.S. (2013) Differential Post-Surgical Metastasis and Survival in SCID, NOD-SCID andNOD-SCID-IL-2R g null Mice with Parental and SublineVariants of Human Breast Cancer: Implications for Host Defense MechanismsRegulating Metastasis. PLoS ONE 2013; 8(8): e71270.
6. GarnierD., Magnus N., Lee TH., Bentley V., Meehan B., Milsom C., Montermini L.,Kislinger T. and Rak J. (2012) Cancer Cells Induced to Express MesechymalPhenotype Release Exosome-Like Extracellular Vesicles Carrying Tissue Factor. J Biol Chem. 287(52):43565-72.
7. GarnierD., Magnus N., D’Asti E., Hashemi M., Meehan B., Milsom C., and Rak J. (2012) Genetic pathways lining hemostasis andcancer. Throm. Res. 129 Suppl 1:S22-9.
8. Hackl C., Francia G., Milsom C., Man S., Xu P. and KerbelR.S. (2011) Metronomic Oral TopotecanProlongs Survival and Reduces Liver Metastasis in Orthotopic and Adjuvant ColonCancer Models. Gut . 62(2): 259-71.
9. Voloshin T.,Gingis-Veltski S., Bril R., Benayoun L., Munster M., Milsom C., Man S., Kerbel R.S. and Shaked Y. (2011) G-CSF Supplementation with Chemotherapy can PromoteRevascularization and Subsequent Tumor Regrowth. Blood.118(12):3426-35.
10. Garnier D*., MilsomC*., Magnus N., Meehen B., Weitz J., Yu J. and Rak. J. (2010) Role of thetissue factor pathway in the biology of tumour initiating cell. Thromb. Res. 125(S2): S44-50 *Joint firstauthorship.
11. Yu J., Xing R., MilsomC. and Rak J. (2010) Modulation of the Oncogene-Dependent Tissue FactorExpression by Kinase Suppressor of Ras 1. Thromb.Res. 126(1): 6-10.
12. Milsom C ., Magnus N., Meehan B., Al-Nadawi K.,Garnier D., and Rak J. (2009) Tissue Factor and Cancer Stem Cells. Is there aLinkage? Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc.Biol. 29: 2005-2014.
13. Rak J., Milsom C.,Magnus N., and Yu J. (2009) Tissue Factor in Tumour Progression. Best Pract. Res. Clin. Haemotol. 22(1): 71-83.
15. Milsom C . and Rak J. (2008) Tissue Factor andCancer. Pathophysiol.Haemost. Thromb . 36(3-4): 160-76.
16. Milsom C ., Yu J., May L., Magnus N., and Rak J. (2008) Diverse Roles of Tissue FactorExpressing Cell Subsets Involved in Tumour Progression. Semin. Thromb. Hemost. 34 (2): 170-81.
17. Milsom C ., Yu J., May L., Magnus N., and Rak J. (2008) EpidermalGrowth Factor Receptor-Dependent Upregulation of Tissue Factor is Modified byEpithelial to Mesenchymal Transitions-Implications for TumourAngiogenesis. Cancer Res. 15; 68(24): 10068-76.
18. Yu J*.,May L*., Milsom C*., Anderson G.M., Weitz J., Luyendyk J., Broze G.,Mackman N., and Rak J. (2008)Contribution of Host-Derived Tissue Factor to TumourGrowth and Neovascularization. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 28(11): 1975-81. *Joint first authorship.
19. Rak J., Milsom C.,and Yu J. (2008) Tissue Factor inCancer. Curr. Opin. Hematol. 15 (5): 522-8.
20. Rak J., Milsom C.,and Yu J. (2008) Vascular Determinants of Cancer Stem Cell Dormancy- Do Age andCoagulation System Play a Role? ActaPathol. Microbiol. Immunol. Scand. 116 (7/8): 660-76.
21. Yu J*.,May L*., Milsom C*., Anderson G.M., Weitz J., Luyendyk J., Broze G.,Mackman N., and Rak J. (2008) Contribution of Host-Derived Tissue Factor to Tumour Growth andNeovascularization. Arterioscler.Thromb. Vasc. Biol.28(11):1975-81. *Joint first authorship.
22. Milsom C ., Yu J., May L., Meehan B.,Magnus N., Al-Nedawi K., Luyendyk J., Weitz J., Klement P., Broze G., MackmanN., and Rak J. (2007) The role of tumor-and host-related tissue factor pools inoncogene-driven tumor progression. Thromb.Res. (120) Suppl. 2: S82-S91.
23. Milsom C ., Anderson G.M., Weitz J., and Rak J. (2007) Elevated TissueFactor Procoagulant Activity in CD133-Positive Cancer Cells. J. Thromb.Haemost. 5 (12): 2550-2.
24. Klement H., St. Croix B., MilsomC., May L., Guo Q., Yu J., Klement P., and Rak J. (2007) Atherosclerosisand Vascular Aging as Modifiers of Tumor Progression, Angiogenesis andResponsiveness to Therapy. Am. J.Pathol. 171(4):1342-51.
25. Rak J., MilsomC., May L., and Yu J. (2007)Oncogene-Directed Therapies as Modulators of Cancer Coagulopathy. Angiogenesisand Tumour-Vascular Interface. Curr.Signal Transduct. Ther. 2(2): 157-163.
26. Rak J.,Milsom C., May L., Klement P., and Yu J. (2006) Tissue Factor in Cancer and Angiogenesis.The Molecular Link between Genetic Tumor Progression. Tumor Neovascularizationand Cancer Coagulopathy. Semin.Thromb. Hemost. 32(1):54-70.
27. Milsom C . and Rak J. (2005) Regulation of TissueFactor and Angiogenesis Related Genes by Changes in Cell Shape. Biochem.Biophys. Res. Commun. 2; 337(4):1267-75.
28. Kalas W., Yu J., Milsom C.,Rosenfeld J., Benezra R., Bornstein P., Rak J. (2005) Oncogenes andAngiogenesis: Down-Regulation of Thrombospondin-1 in Normal Fibroblasts Exposedto Factors from Cancer Cells Harboring Mutant Ras. CancerRes. 1; 65(19):8878-86.
29. Yu J., May L., Lhotak V., Milsom C., Li Y., Shahrzad S.,Shirasawa S., Weitz J., Coomber B., Micelef J., Guha A., Klement P., Mackman Nand Rak J. (2005) Oncogenic Events Regulate Tissue Factor Expression. Haematol. Reports 1(19):18-20.
30. Isles AR., Ma D., Milsom C.,Skynner M., Cui W., Clarke J., Kevern EB. and Allen N. (2001) ConditionalAblation of Neurones in Transgenic Mice. Journal of Neurobiology Jun 5;47(3):183-93.
Reports & invited lectures
May 2013 McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
Mar 2011 The Expedition Inspiration Fund for Breast Cancer Research Fifteenth Annual Laura Evans Memorial Breast Cancer Symposium, Sun Valley, Idaho, U.S.A.
Nov 2008 Children’s Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Aug 2008 Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre,Toronto, ON, Canada
June 2008 Canadian Institutes for Health Research Retreat, Courtside Marriott,Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Apr 2008 American Association of Cancer Research Conference, San Diego Convention Centre, CA, U.S.A
May 2007 Jurovinski Cancer Centre, Hamilton, ON,Canada
June 2005 Vascular Biology Seminar Series, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
May 2004 Research Seminar Series, Henderson Research Centre, Hamilton, ON, Canada