Dr Clive Williams
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer)
1975 BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering, Loughborough University
1979 PhD, Plymouth Polytechnic
1985 Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE)
1985 Chartered Engineer
2000 Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (FICE)
2000 Member of the Institute of Learning & Teaching
1975-1976 Graduate Engineer, Waterhouse and Partners Consulting Engineers
1976-1979 Research Assistant, Plymouth Polytechnic
1979-1981 Research Engineer, Taylor Woodrow Construction, London
1981-1992 Senior Lecturer, Plymouth Polytechnic/Polytechnic South West
1992-1998 Principal Lecturer, University of Plymouth.
1998-2003 Head of School of Civil & Structural Engineering, University of Plymouth
1999-2003 Associate Dean for Quality and Standards, Faculty of Technology, University of Plymouth
2003- 2009 Associate Dean for Graduate Affairs, Faculty of Technology, University of Plymouth
1975- Attendance at Local and National Technical Meetings Presented papers at National, International and World Conferences.
1981-1986 Taught Engineers on ‘Opening Windows’ scheme.
1981-2000 Member of the Concrete Society
1982-1985 Member of Construction Studies Advisory Committee, College of Further Education, Plymouth
1982-1985 Member of Institution of Structural Engineers, South Western Branch Committee. Education & Training Officer.
1983-1992 Member of the Informal Study Group on Vibration Problems in Structures (Institution of Structural Engineers)
1984- Member of the Society of Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics
1985- Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
1985-1992 Member of the British Society for Strain Measurement
1986- Member of the British Standards Committee GME/21/3/3
1987-1992 Member of Neighbourhood Engineers Panel at Eggbuckland School, Plymouth
1989-1992 Committee Member of the South West Region Concrete Society
1996-2003 Subject Specialist Assessor for Quality Assurance Agency.
2000 International Assessor for the Quality Assurance Agency
2000-2005 Member of Institute of Learning & Teaching
2000- Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers
2001-2004 Honorary Secretary, Association of Civil Engineering Departments
2001- 2007 Member of the Joint Board of Moderators (Accrediting body of the Institutions of Civil and Structural Engineers)
2002-2006 External Examiner, Brighton University, MSc Civil Engineering.
2006- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
2005 Chair of the Association of Civil Engineering Departments
2006-2010 Committee Member of the Association of Civil Engineering Departments
2005- 2010 External Examiner Napier University
2007- International Committee of the Joint Board of Moderators
Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers
Roles on external bodies
See other list
Interdisciplinary Professional Studies
Interdisciplinary Design Projects
-As Programme Manager, developed successful Honours Degree courses and steered courses through validations and accreditation visits. Excellent reports from accreditation visits.
-Major role in the Quality Assessment exercise for Civil Engineering, University of Plymouth scored top in England 23/24. Also for Building Surveying provision also scored 23/24.
-Developed new MSc courses which started in September 2002. Gained accreditation under SARTOR 3rd Edition from Joint Board of Moderators for BEng/MEng (Hons) courses.
-Overseen other accreditation visits by Joint Board of Moderators, Joint Accreditation Panel, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and Chartered Institute of Builders.
Staff serving as external examiners
see other list
-PhD on full-scale testing of structures to determine their dynamic characteristics. A major item was prediction of dynamic behaviour and modelling of structures using computer based techniques. Research at Taylor Woodrow Construction was on various piling projects and work in the Special Consultants Group covered by the Official Secrets Act.
-Research work has been on various topics related to structural dynamics and has given me an international reputation.
-Full-scale performance of civil engineering structures.
-Modal analysis and testing.
-Dynamic performance and strength of reinforced concrete frames.
-Investigation of various types of dynamic loads.
-Investigation into the effects of deterioration and damage on the dynamic characteristics of beams and bridges.
-Human – structure dynamic interaction
Consultancy/Industrial Research has been carried out for a number of firms:
South West Water Services Ltd
Brown & Sharpe
Plymouth City Engineer’s Department
Plymouth City Estates’ Department
Birkett Stevens Colman Partnership
Devon County Engineer’s Department
Ministry of Defence, Devonport
Isis Construction Ltd
Kenchington Little & Partners
Besley & Copp
Jubb & Partners
Steel Construction Institute
Grants & contracts
-Investigation of the performance of building structures by forced vibration testing. (EPSRC grant £24,000).
-Progressively developed more student centred learning/independent in the School. Principal Applicant to Hefce for £250,000 FDTL3 project. Successful bid.
PAPERS AND MAJOR REPORTS.
1. WARD, H.S. & WILLIAMS, C. Problems and applications for full-scale structural measurements. Proceedings of the International Conference on the Behaviour of Slender Structures, London, Sept. 1977. Vol. p 5.1 - 5.13.
2. WILLIAMS, C. A system for measuring the slowly varying displacements associated with ground structure interaction. Paper awarded the 'Cooling Prize'. British Geotechnical Society, 1977.
3. WILLIAMS, C. The real performance of some civil engineering structures, Ph.D Thesis, CNAA, Plymouth Polytechnic, 1979.
4. WILLIAMS, C. The dynamic movements of a multi-storey building. Paper awarded the 'Best Paper Prize'. Association of London Graduates and Students, Institution of Civil Engineers, 1980.
5. WILLIAMS, C. The dynamic movements of a multi-storey building. Paper written and presented to I.C.E. Awarded the 'James Forrest Medal'. I.C.E., 1981.
6. CASHMAN, A. C., HOUSLEY, P.M., PURVIS, D & WILLIAMS, C. Co-ordinated Piling Programme, Calibration Pile Report No. 1, 265 pages, Taylor Woodrow Research Laboratories, 1980.
7. CASHMAN, A. C., WILLIAMS, C. Co-ordinated Piling Programme, Calibration Pile Report No 2, 78 pages, Taylor Woodrow Research Laboratories, 1980.
8. McANOY, R.P.L., CASHMAN, A. C., PURVIS, D. & WILLIAMS, C. Cyclic Testing of Piles in Glacial Till, Taylor Woodrow Research Laboratories, 1980.
9. WILLIAMS, C. Calibration of Instrumentation for jacked-in field piles. 60 pages. Plus 7 other papers/reports on piling. Taylor Woodrow Research Laboratories, 1980.
10. WILLIAMS, C. Reports on vibration design for a large structure. Covered by the Official Secrets Act'. Taylor Woodrow Consultants Group, 1980-81.
11. WILLIAMS, C. Vibration of some civil engineering structures. Proceedings of the B.S.S.M. Conference on Measurements in the Vibration Environment, University of Durham. September 1983.
12. WILLIAMS, C. Some dynamic characteristics of a tall building. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, December 1983, Part 2, Vol. 75, p751-759.
13. WILLIAMS, C & KENNEDY, C.K. A new approach to the teaching of design in civil engineering. Proceedings of the World Conference on Education in Applied Engineering and Engineering Technology, Cologne, West Germany, April 1984.
14. WILLIAMS, C. Conference Report, 'Project Management in the Construction Industry', International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 2, No. 2, p 121, May 1984, Butterworths.
15. WILLIAMS, C. Vibration monitoring of large structures, Experimental Techniques, Vol. 8, No. 12, p29-32, The Society for Experimental Mechanics, USA, Dec 1984 .
16. WILLIAMS, C. Observations on teaching vibration to undergraduate civil engineers. Proceedings of the 5th British Conference on the Teaching of Vibration and Noise, July 1985 p249-257, Pub. Sheffield City Polytechnic.
17. WILLIAMS, C. Research on the dynamic characteristics of buildings and interaction of this and other projects with undergraduate teaching. Proceedings of the 5th British Conference on the Teaching of Vibration and Noise, July 1985, p126-135, Pub. Sheffield City Polytechnic.
18. WILLIAMS, C., ROSSI, A. & FOULKES, M.M.D. Instrumentation development in the field of dynamics. Proceedings of the 5th British Conference on the Teaching of Vibration and Noise, July 1985 p201-211, Pub. Sheffield City Polytechnic.
19. KENNEDY, C. K. & WILLIAMS, C. The Development of an emphatic engineering applications emphasis for a Civil Engineering degree course. Proceedings of the European Conference on Engineering Education, Sept. 1985, Madrid, p263-270, Pub. The European Society for Engineering Education (SEFI).
20. WILLIAMS, C. & TSANG, W. F. Dynamic characteristics of reinforced concrete structures. Proceedings of the Research Seminar on the Behaviour of Concrete Structures, Cement and Concrete Association, June 1986. p71-79, C&CA.
21. WILLIAMS, C. & KENNEDY, C.K. An Alternative Technique for Teaching Design and Undergraduate Civil Engineers. Civil Engineering Education. Oct. 1986, Vol. VII, No. 2, American Society For Engineering Education, Civil Engineering Division.
22. WILLIAMS, C. Structural Dynamics. Paper presented to the Institution of Structural Engineers and Institution of Civil Engineers, South Western Region. Feb. 1987.
23. WILLIAMS, C. Vibration testing of Large Structures to determine structural characteristics. Proceedings of the Structural Faults and Repair Conference, London. July 1987, p31-36 Engineering Technics Press, Edinburgh.
24. WILLIAMS, C. Full-scale Testing of Structures using Vibration Techniques. . Final Report to Science and Engineering Research Council, Jan 1988, 6 pages.
25. WILLIAMS, C. & TSANG, W.F. Determination of structural performance from full-scale forced vibration tests. Proceedings of the Conference on Civil Engineering Dynamics, March 1988, Paper No. 4. The Society for Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics.
26. TSANG, W.F. & WILLIAMS, C. Application of experimental modal analysis to full-scale civil engineering structures. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Recent Advances in Structural Dynamics, Southampton, July 1988, p1009-1020. Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, Southampton.
27. WILLIAMS, C. Structural Vibrations, Part 1. Theory and Testing. Structural Survey, Winter 1989/90, Vol. 8, No. 3 p280-291, H.S. Publications, London.
28. WILLIAMS, C. & TSANG, W.F. A comparison of some methods of modal parameter extraction. Proceedings of the 8th International Modal Analysis Conference, January 1990, Florida, USA. Pub. Scholarly Communications Virginia Polytechnic, USA. p1020-1025.
29. WILLIAMS, C. Structural Vibrations, Part 2. Industrial Problems. Structural Survey, Spring 1990, Vol. 8, No. 4, p416-426. H.S. Publications, London.
30. WILLIAMS, C. The effects of vibration on large structures and the determination of dynamic characteristics. Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Integrity through Testing, Birmingham, March 1990, p441-452. Pub. Engineering Materials Advisory Service Ltd., Worley, West Midlands.
31. WILLIAMS, C. Vibration Studies on an Historical Bridge. Proceedings of the International Conference on Structural Studies, Repairs and Maintenance of Historical Buildings, Seville, Spain, May 1991, Vol 2, p31-43. Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton.
32. WILLIAMS, C. Book Review - 'Materials and Structures' by R. Whitlow. Structural Survey, Vol. 10, No. 3, p295, Winter 91/92. HS Publications, London.
33. WILLIAMS, C. Testing of Large Structures using Vibration Techniques. Proceedings of the Structural Integrity Assessment Conference, Manchester, March 1992, p290-299, Elsevier Applied Science, London.
34. WILLIAMS, C. The Role of Vibration Testing for Large Structures. Noise and Vibration Worldwide: International Journal, July 1992, Vol 23, No 7, p28-33. Elsevier, Oxford.
35. SALAWU, O. S. & WILLIAMS, C. Design and Calibration of Equipment for Forced Vibration Testing: Testing and Actuator. School of Civil and Structural Engineering, University of Plymouth, Report No SCSE 92.009, August 1992. 71p.
36. JOHNSTON, S.G.D. & WILLIAMS, C. Encouraging Ingenuity in Civil Engineering Students. Proceedings of the World Conference on Engineering Education, Portsmouth September 1992, Vol 1, p411-416. European Society for Engineering (SEFI). Editor T.V. Duggan. Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton.
37. Article featured in the Daily Telegraph, "Safety Test is Shaking Buildings to the Core", p8, 26 January 1993.
38. SALAWU, O. S. & WILLIAMS, C. Structural Damage Detection Using Experimental Modal Analysis - A Comparison of Some Methods. Proceedings of the Eleventh International Modal Analysis Conference, Florida, February 1993, p254-260. Society for Experimental Mechanics, Connecticut, USA.
39. SALAWU, O. S. & WILLIAMS, C. Hydraulic Actuators Deliver Controllable Excitation for Large Structures. Noise and Vibration Worldwide: International Journal. June 1993, Vol 24, No 5, p15 - 18. Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol, UK.
40. SALAWU, O. S. & WILLIAMS, C. Forced Vibration Testing of a Highway Bridge: Noise and Vibration Worldwide: International Journal. July 1993, Vol. 24, No 6 p14-15. Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol, UK.
41. WILLIAMS, C. & SALAWU, O. S. Modal Identification of a Full-scale Highway Bridge. Twelfth International Modal Analysis Conference, Hawaii, Feb 1994, p724-730. Society for Experimental Mechanics, Connecticut, USA.
42. SALAWU, O. S. & WILLIAMS, C. Damage Location using Vibration Mode Shapes. Twelfth International Modal Analysis Conference, Hawaii, Feb 1994, p933-939. Society for Experimental Mechanics, Connecticut, USA.
43. SALAWU, O.S. & WILLIAMS, C. An Excitation System for Dynamic Testing of Large Structures. Journal of Testing and Evaluation. Vol. 22, No. 4, p370-375, July 1994.
44. SALAWU, O.S., WILLIAMS, C. & HEWSON, P.J. Comparison of Results from Vibration Testing and Finite Element Analysis of a Highway Bridge. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Computational Structures Technology, August 1994, Athens, Greece, paper 2.4, Civil Comp Ltd, Edinburgh.
45. WILLIAMS, C., SALAWU, O.S. & TSANG, W.F. Development and use of an Excitation System for Testing Large Structures. Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Engineering Measurements. British Society for Strain Measurement/Society for Experimental Mechanics, p160-166, August 1994, Edinburgh. BSSM, Guildford.
46. WILLIAMS, C. & SALAWU O.S. Concepts of Condition Assessment of Bridges Using Vibration Testing and Analysis Techniques. The Centenary Year Bridge Conference: Bridge Assessment Management and Design, Cardiff, September 1994, p62-72, Elsevier.
47. SALAWU, O.S. & WILLIAMS, C. Bridge Assessment Using Forced Vibration Testing. Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Journal of Structural Engineering. February 1995, Vol. 121, No. 2, p161-173.
48. SALAWU, O.S. & WILLIAMS, C. A Review of Full Scale Dynamic Testing of Bridge Structures. Engineering Structures. 17/2, February 1995, p113-121, Elsevier Science Ltd.
49. WILLIAMS, C. Academia. School of Civil and Structural Engineering, University of Plymouth. The Structural Engineer. Vol. 73, No. 7, pp118-120, April 1995. Institution of Structural Engineers.
50. WILLIAMS, C. & SALAWU O.S. Damping as a Damage Indication Parameter. Proceedings of the 15th International Modal Analysis Conference, Orlando, Florida, February 1997. Society for Experimental Mechanics, Connecticut, USA.
51. SALAWU, O.S. & WILLIAMS, C. Theoretical and Experimental Vibration Analysis of a Reinforced Concrete Bridge. Proceedings of the 15th International Modal Analysis Conference, Orlando, Florida, February 1997. Society for Experimental Mechanics, Connecticut, USA.
52. SHAW, G., CAINE, J. & WILLIAMS, C. Review of the First 20 Years Dynamic Performance of a Tall Office Tower. Proceedings of Vertical Space in the 21st Century Conference, October 1997. p 245-254. The Concrete Society. E & FN Spon 1997.
53. DONNELLY, T., EASTERBROOK, D. J., GRIEVE, D. & WILLIAMS, C. Developing Interdisciplinary Work at Undergraduate Level. Proceedings of the Engineering Design Conference '98, Sharing Experience in Engineering Design (SEED), 30th June 1998.
54. RAFIQ, M.Y. & WILLIAMS, C. An Investigation into the Integration of Neural Networks with the General Algorithms to Aid Conceptual Design. Proceeding of the International Conference on Structural Engineering: Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Switzerland 26-31 July 1998.
55. WILLIAMS, C., & EASTERBROOK, D. J. Developments in Teaching and Learning: An Undergraduates Civil Engineering Course. Proceedings of the Architecture and Engineering International Conference, European Association for Architectural Education, Plymouth, UK, February 1999, Transactions on Architectural Education No 05. P 217-226.
56. WILLIAMS, C., CARTER, A. & RAFIQ, M.Y. Human Structure Interaction: The Development of an Analytical Model of the Human Body. International Conference: Vibration, Noise and Structural Dynamics '99, Venice, Italy, 28 - 30 April 1999, p 32-39. Published by Staffordshire University.
57. RAFIQ, M. Y., EASTERBROOK, D. J., & WILLIAMS, C. The Impact of Computers on Teaching Methods in Structural Engineering. Civil Engineering Education in the 21st Century, Southampton, 26-28 April 2000. P99-110.