Mr John Kilburn
Lecturer in Illustration
School of Art, Design and Architecture (Faculty of Arts and Humanities)
Lecturer in Illustration.
Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP) - University of Plymouth
MA Illustration: Authorial Practice – University College Falmouth
BA Graphic Design – Bath Spa University College
BTEC Multimedia – Chelsea and Kensington College
John is a director of Atlantic Press, a small press who publish limited edition first time books by authorial illustrators. As a freelance illustrator, bookmaker, comic artist, printmaker and designer John’s work has been collected, published and exhibited internationally.
Creative practice & artistic projects
• Save the European Eel: Europe's Own Ivory Trade, The European Parliament, Brussels 2018
• The Murmuring Guillemot, Collaborative daily newspaper at Port Eliot Festival with Guillemot Press, St Germans 2017.
• Guillemot Press. Henry and the Moon Baby launch & exhibition. Terre Verte, Alternun. 2017
• First Impressions 5, Plymouth University 2016
• Comica, House of Illustration, 2016
• The Cultshare Show 2015, Penryn Arts Festival.
• Bristol Artists Book Event, Arnolfini April 2015.
• Marlborough School, Visual literacy workshops for children. Falmouth, 2015.
• Bizarre Noel, Falmouth, December 2014.
• The Small Publishers Fair, London 2014
• ‘As Above So Below’ Resident Artist. 64 Killigrew Street, Falmouth 2014.
• “Of Green Leaf, Bird, and Flower”: Artists’ Books and the Natural World. Yale Center for British Art, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut. USA, 2014
• Camp Bestival, Workshop Leader, Dorset 2014.
• ‘Homage’ 64 Killigrew St. Falmouth, 2013
• The Small Publishers Fair, London 2013
• International Artist’s Book Competition Exhibition, Bank Street Arts, Sheffield September 2013
• The Tobacco Factory, Bristol November 2013
• Guest Printmaker, The Print Shop, Bristol, October 2013
• ‘12’ Falmouth Poly. September 2013
• ‘Waterlog’, Falmouth Poly. Aug 2013
• Tiny Pencil Launch Party. Live drawing at GOSH Comics. Soho, April 2013
• Bristol Artists Book Event, April 2013.
• Penryn Arts Festival, Drawing workshop with Tom Hubmann. Penryn 2013
• 64 Killigrew Street - gallery and exhibition space. Co-founder/manager/curator. Falmouth 2013
• The Small Publishers Fair, November 2012
• Comica, London November 2012.
• The Alternative Fresher’s Fair. Falmouth 2012
• Truro Arts, Truro Sept-Oct 2012
• MA Shows. Woodlane campus. Falmouth
• Illustration Stuff Fair, Plymouth CAD. 2012
• Hung,Drawn and Authored. Falmouth Poly, March 2011
• Museum of Walcot Art (MOWA), Walcot Street, Bath, Summer 2010
• Back to Mine, ‘Shopfront’ Exhibition of Posters 2007-2010
• Multimedia Show, Chelsea and Kensington College, Summer 2007
• Squat Art, Ex-Car dealership, Montpellier, Bristol, August 2006
• Bath Fringe Festival, Mural Workshop Leader, Bath 2006
• Solo Exhibition, The Hat and Feather, Bath, 2005
• The Shri Tulsi Mandir Foundation, Resident Artist. Kapsi, India 2004.
• Bath Spa University Degree Show as honorary fellow, Summer 2001
• The Love and Worry Show, The Coningsby Gallery, London. Dec 1999
• Peep! Degree Show, London. Summer 1999
• Bath SpaUniversity Summer 1999
Robot Squirrel by Luke Thompson, ZimZalla 2017
Henry and the Moon Baby by Rob Magnuson Smith, Guillemot Press 2016
W.A.A.F.P.P, self-published 2016
72 Hours, Atlantic Press 2015
The Wildlife Photographer of the Year: Filtered Through The Hypercube, self-published 2015
Only Now Do I Know: Poems of a Five Year Old Boarder, Carole Inman 2015
Visual Families, Gestalten 2014
Snuff Comix vol.6 2014
Tiny Pencil IV: Death and Resurrection, Tiny Empire Press 2014
Making Time - Featuring William Arnold, Hannah Guy, Andy Hughes, Nicholas Hughes & Oliver Raymond-Barker 2013
Tiny Pencil II: Mammals, Monsters, Mars! Tiny Empire Press 2013
Tiny Pencil: The Forest Issue, Tiny Empire Press 2013
The Leviathan, self-published 2012
The Golden Plaice, self-published 2012
Blood, Breasts and Beasts, self-published 2011
As co-director of Atlantic Press:
By Orchestral Waters by June Moore
Cassiopia: Knee by Hannah Rae Alton, Irene Vidal Cal, Amy Goodwin, Anne Harild, Catrin Morgan
Mouth - anthology
The Red Haze by Emilia Wharfe
Vassa Zheleznova by Emily Juniper
the clearing by LukeThompson illustrated by Mairaed Dunne
Stone by Em Strang illustrated by Mat Osmond
On Ridgegrove Hill by Alyson Hallett illustrated by Phyllida Bluemel
Isomorphology by Gemma Anderson
The Devil’s Noose by Heidi Ball
Pick me up by Anna Kiernan illustrated by Harriet Lee Merrion
Reports & invited lectures
MA Research Symposium, Falmouth University 2013