Dr Liz Stuart
Associate Professor in Computing
School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Research team leader in the Visualization Lab.
PhD Research Supervisor (first and second).
Module lecturer for Masters course in "Interactive Intelligent Systems".
Supervision of final stage projects/dissertations for undergraduate degrees.
Supervision of students during Industrial Training/Placement.
Module Leader for Undergraduate "Software Engineering" course.
Member of the Software Engineering (SOFT) subject teaching group.
1991: BSc (Hons) Computer Science (First Class), University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
1996: DPhil Information and Systems Engineering, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland.
1998: UK Accreditation as a Teacher in Higher Education (SEDA Certificate).
1999-current: Senior Lecturer, SoCCE, University of Plymouth.
1997-1999: Lecturer, School of Computing, University of Plymouth.
1996-1997: Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, University of Exeter.
1991-1996: Part time lecturer/Demonstrator/DPhil student, University of Ulster.
2005-2007: Re-elected committee member of the International Visualization Society
2003-2005: Elected general committee member of the International Visualization Society
Since 2002: Member of the International Visualization Society
Roles on external bodies
Ongoing member of the program committee for the IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization.
Referee for the International journal Information Visualization.
Referee for the International Journal of Neuroscience methods.
Referee for the International journal BioSystems.
Referee for the IEEE International Information Visualization conference.
Information Visualization, Software Engineering.
Staff serving as external examiners
2006: PhD External Examination, Norizza Hussin, University of Nottingham.
Information Visualization, Visual Data Analysis, Animation, Glyph technology, Virtual Reality, 3D Visualization, Data Mining, Software Engineering.
Due to the transdisciplinary nature of Information Visualization, my research overlaps with other disciplines including Neuroscience, Neurophysiology, Medical Research, Artificial Life and Civil Engineering.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
2005: Martin Walter, "Visualization techniques for the analysis of Neurophysiological data."
Grants & contracts
2000-2003 Principal Investigator, UK EPSRC Research Grant, £53,260, “A new approach for analysis of neurophysiological experimental data using visualization and virtual reality”.
1997-2000 Nuffield Foundation, Award for Newly Appointed Lecturers, £4,000.
- Computer Science and Informatics
- L.S. Smith, J. Austin, S. Baker, R. Borisyuk, S. Eglen, J. Feng, K. Gurney, T. Jackson, M. Kaiser, P. Overton, S. Panzeri, R. Quian Quiroga, S.R. Schultz, E. Sernagor, V.A. Smith, T.V. Smulders, L. Stuart, M. Whittington, C. Ingram. The CARMEN e-Science pilot project: Neuroinformatics work packages, Proceedings of the UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2007, Nottingham, UK, 10th-13th September 2007.
- Somerville, J., Barlow, N., Stuart, L.J. Easy Grocery: 3D Visualization in Online Shopping, IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization, IV06, 539-544, 2006.
- Stuart, L., Walter, M. and R. Borisyuk. The correlation grid: analysis of synchronous spiking in multi-dimensional spike train data and identification of feasible connection architectures, BioSystems, 79, 223-233, 2005.
- Stuart L., Marocco D., Cangelosi A. Information Visualization for Knowledge Extraction in Neural Networks, In W. Duch, J. Kacprzyk, E. Oja & S. Zadrozny (Eds.) Artificial Neural Networks: Formal Models and Their Applications - ICANN 2005. 15th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (Part II) (LNCS 3697).Berlin Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 515-520, 2005.
- Barlow, N., Stuart, L.J. Animator: A Tool for the Animation of Parallel Coordinates, In Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization, IV04, 725-730, 2004.
- Walter, M., Stuart, L., Borisyuk, R. The representation of neural data using visualization, Journal of Information Visualization, 3, 245-256, 2004.
- Marocco D., Stuart E.J., Cangelosi A., Visualisation techniques in artificial life: The method of parallel coordinates. 1st Italian Workshop on Artificial Life, Universita’ della Calabria. (in Italian), September 2003.
- Stuart, L., Walter, M., Borisyuk, R., Analysis of Visualization of multi-dimensional Spike Trains using Visualization, Proceedings of 5th International workshop Neural Coding'2003, 99-102, 2003.
- Walter, M., Stuart, L., Borisyuk, R. The Representation of Neural Data using Visualization, 9th IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization, InfoVis2003 (interactive conference poster), Seattle, 2003.
- Walter, M., Stuart, L., Borisyuk, R. Spike Train Correlation Visualization, 7th IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization, IV03, 555-560, 2003.
- Stuart, L., Walter, M., Borisyuk, R. Visualization of Neurophsyiological Data, Presented at the 8th IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization, InfoVis2002 (interactive conference poster), Boston, 2002.
- Stuart, L., Walter, M., Borisyuk, R. Visualization of Synchronous Firing in Multi-dimensional Spike Trains, BioSystems, 67, 265-279, 2002.
- Stuart, L., Walter, M., Borisyuk, R. Visualization of multi-dimensional Spike Trains, 4th International workshop Neural Coding'2001, 47-48, 2001.
- Stuart, E.J., Bustard, D.W., Weston, J.S. Information Visualization in Numerical Analysis, In Proceedings of the IEEE Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 250-257, 2001.
- Singh, S., Stuart, E. A Pattern Matching Tool for Time-Series Forecasting, 14th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR98), 103-105, 1998.
- Stuart, E.J. The Visualisation of Parallel Computations, DPhil Thesis, The University of Ulster at Coleraine, 1996.
- Stuart, E.J., Weston, J.S. PAVE: Parallel Algorithms Visually Explored, A Prototype Tool for the Investigation of Data Structures in Parallel Numerical Iterative Algorithms, IEEE Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 522-529, 1995.
- Stuart, E. J., Weston, J.S. The Enhancement of Parallel Numerical Linear Algorithms using a Visualisation Approach, IEEE Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 274-281, 1993; also In University of Ulster Informatics Research Reports, 9, 33-38, 1994.
- Stuart, E. J., Weston, J.S. An Algorithm for the Parallel Computation of Subsets of Eigenvalues and Associated Eigenvectors of Large Symmetric Matrices using an Array Processor, IEEE Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 211-217, 1992.
- Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Information Visualization (IV’07), Banissi, E., Stuart, L., Jern, M., Andrienko, G., Marchese, F.T., Memon, N., Alhajj, R., Wyeld, T.G., Burkhard, R.A., Grinstein, G., Groth, D., Ursyn, A., Maple, C., Faiola A. and Craft, B., (Editors), IEEE Computer Society Press, July 2008.
- Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Information Visualization (IV’07), Banissi, E., Burkhard, R.A., Grinstein, G., Cvek, U., Trutschl, M., Stuart, L., Wyeld, T.G., Andrienko, G., Dykes, J., Jern, M., Groth, D. and Ursyn, A. (Editors), IEEE Computer Society Press, July 2007.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
See www.plymouth.ac.uk/infovis for more information on the VISA project