Mr Luke McGowan
Senior Learning Technologist
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
I work as the Senior Learning Technologist in the TELMeD team (Technology Enhanced Learning for Medicine and Dentistry) for PUPSMD and PCMD (Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry and Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry).
My work spans the medical, dental and postgraduate schools and involves:
- Leading and managing a team of e-learning Developers, co-ordinating the delivery and development of a comprehensive e-learning service.
- Leading in the design, specification, evaluation, dissemination and management of Technology Enhanced Learning and Assessment projects to support Medical, Dental and Graduate Education and professional services within PCMD and PUPSMD.
- Bespoke resource development (online and physical media), created in collaboration with academics, students and/or NHS partners. Projects include e-study guides, reusable learning objects (RLOs), virtual patients, interactive 3D, simulations, photography, video for web or DVD delivery and mobile web apps. Key skills include HTML5, XHTML, PHP, MySQL, Flash/Actionscript, Unity3D, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, Aftereffects and more.
- Investigating and recommending new technologies (software and hardware), third party products, services and emerging practices for PCMD and PUPSMD
- Contributing to research funding applications and projects
- Provision of training, supervision and authoring of protocols for staff and students in the development and use of resources (hardware, software systems etc), as part of a staff development role.
- Design for print including conference posters and printed learning resources
- Development and management of e-resources gateway and content managed e-resource system
- Student IT inductions and digital literacy development
- Providing guidance on copyright and IPR issues (non-legal advice)
- Representing PCMD and PUPSMD at national and international educational conferences (ALT-C, International Association for Dental Research, Plymouth e-Learning & VCs Teaching and Learning Conferences)
Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP) (2014)
PGCert LTHE300 - Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (2009)
General Teaching Associate (2008)
MSc Digital Art and Technology - University of Plymouth (2007)
BSc (Hons), MediaLab Arts (2005)
Diploma of Higher Education in Art Foundation Studies - Plymouth College of Art and Design (1995)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Associate Member of Association for Learning Technology (ALT)
My research interests include:
- Virtual patients
- Game Based Learning
- Collaborative authorship
- Use of social media in education
- Story Based Learning
- Virtual Reality and Immersive Learning
- Use of mobile technology to enhance learning and patient treatment
McGowan, L., Hart, R., Seymour, L., Skates, W., Gale, T., Chatterjee, A. (2017) iCARE: Using interactive digital storytelling on mobile devices to deliver community health education to Ebola-affected communities in West Africa. Association for Learning Technology Conference. University of Liverpool, UK, 5-7 September.
McGowan, L., Carmichael, J., Chatterjee, A., Ghatnekar, P., Hart, R. (2017) Exploring Virtual and Mixed Reality for Teaching & Learning (workshop). Digital Learning Conference 2017, Plymouth University, UK, 29 June.
Wright C, Campbell J, McGowan L, Roberts MJ, Jelley D & Chatterjee A (2016) Interpreting multisource feedback: online study of consensus and variation among GP appraisers. The British journal of general practice: the journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners 66, (645) e277-e284