Dr Matthew Craven
Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Lecturer in Applied Mathematics in SoCEM.
- Nominated for SSTAR awards in the categories of "Inspiration Teaching" and "Sensational Programme Lead" in 2017.
- Lead of the Plymouth GPU Research Center.
- Research interests in many aspects of Mathematics (see 'Research' section for details).
- Programme Manager for the (six) Foundation Year programmes in SoCEM.
- Stage tutor for four of the above six programmes.
- Senior Personal Tutor.
- One of two SoCEM disability champions, and a qualified mental health champion.
- Admissions Tutor for BSc (Hons) Mathematics with Foundation Year, and assistant Admissions Tutor for year 1 Mathematics programmes.
- Teaches across several schools, including service teaching, Mathematics degree students and 3rd year project supervision.
- Enjoys speaking at outreach events, having given several Mathematics Masterclasses in collaboration with the Royal Institution.
- PGCAP mentor for new staff.
- Applied Mathematics seminar organiser - if you wish to give a seminar then contact me!
Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
London Mathematical Society
Foundation Year Network
I am an external member of the Cybersecurity research group at the University of Abertay Dundee.
I am always interested in hearing from prospective PhD students in the areas specified in my research section, and in particular, Group-Theoretic Cryptography and Financial Mathematics.
Grants & contracts
- Centre for Mathematical Sciences (CMS)
Other academic activities
- I have taught many Royal Institute Mathematics Masterclasses, the most recent in March 2018.
- I am on the editorial board for Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing. Also I was a Review Committee member for GECCO 2009 (GA Track), a Programme Committee member for GECCO 2010 and GECCO 2011 (both GA Track), a Programme Committee member for the GECCO-UP Workshop 2013 and a Review Committee member for the VizGEC Workshop in 2015-2018.
- I review EPSRC grant applications in cryptography.
- I am the leader of the Applied Mathematics research group on Computational Algebra and Symbolic Computation, and run the Plymouth GPU Research Centre.
I am always keen to hear from prospective PhD students. For informal enquiries, please contact me directly. To apply officially for a PhD position at Plymouth, please click here.