Dr Melanie Hudson-Smith
Plymouth Graduate School of Management & Plymouth Business School (Faculty of Business)
Associate Professor in Operations Management
Strategy and Operations Discipline Group Leader
PhD Business & Management awarded 2001 from University of Plymouth.
Postgraduate Certificate in Learning & Teaching in HE, awarded 2005 from University of Plymouth.
Certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt (CPD qualification), awarded 2008 from Villanova University, USA.
Member of the European Operations Management Association.
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I am currently supervising six PhD students, covering areas such as sustainable supply chains and business clusters, healthcare quality and patient satisfaction, green ICT and reverse logistics in SMEs.
I supervise both undergraduate and postgraduate projects. I am also currently module leader for the final year undergraduate Business Studies dissertation projects.
I teach operations and supply chain management, along with research methods to both undergraduates and postgraduate students.
I am the Group Leader for the Strategy and Operations Discipline Group.
Current research is looking at the determinants of patient satisfaction in English GP surgeries and the role of performance measurement in achieving patient satisfaction.
I am also currently researching how to improve University scheduling from a business process perspective.
Previous research has included:
- The development of a tool for introducing strategically derived performance measurement systems in smaller firms;
- Investigations into the issues surrounding the adoption of information systems and ecommerce in small firms;
- Research into the issues associated with implementing quality improvement tools including lean and 6 sigma in smaller firms.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Grants & contracts
I recently undertook a consultancy project for the Timetabling Unit at Plymouth University, to establish the root causes of timetabling problems.
Absolute Software Ltd (Lead Academic) August 2010 (3yr Project) Value: £183,094
Beckton Dickinson (Principle Supervisor) July 2010 (2yr Project) Value: £115,010
Danser SW Ltd (Principal Supervisor) Dec 2009 (2yr Project) Value: £118.974
Beran Instruments (Lead Academic) March 2006 - March 2008; Value £99,044.
Wessex Products Ltd (Support Academic) August 2006 - August 2008; Value £99,044.
Delco Toolmakers Ltd (Lead Academic) May 2005 - August 2005; Value £6,709.
- Hudson Smith, M. (2015) “Chapter 19: The English PatientExperience: Does Healthcare Service Quality Matter?” Public Service Operations Management (ed.Radnor,Z. and Upton,D.) Routledge eISBN: 9781315747972St John, I. Phippen, A. Hudson Smith, M.(2014) “Chapter 10: Sustainability in Higher Education: SocialResponsibility or Social Reputation?” in: Awira, E. Green TechnologyApplications for Enterprise and Academic Innovation, IGI Global, Hershey, PA.
- Jayawickrama, U. Liu, S. Hudson Smith, M. (2013) “An integrative knowledge management framework to support ERP implementation for improved management decision making in industry,” Decision Support Systems II: Recent Developments Applied to DSS Network Environments, (ed Hernandez, J. Liu, S. Delibasic, B. Zarate, P. Dargam, F. and Ribiero, R.) Springer, Berlin.
- Liu, S. Hudson Smith, M. Tuck, S. Pan, J. Alkuraiji,A. Jayawickrama, U. (2015) "Where can Knowledge-Based Decision SupportSystems Go in Contemporary Business Management — A New Architecture for theFuture", Journal of Economics, Business and Management, vol. 3, no. 5, pp.498-504, DOI: 10.7763/JOEBM.2015.V3.235
- Dhakal, M. Hudson Smith, M. Newbery, R.(2015) “Secondary Market” The Sustainability Collection, Common Ground JournalPublishing (Forthcoming)
- Jayawickrama, U. Liu, S. Hudson Smith, M.(2014) "An ERP Knowledge Transfer Framework for Strategic Decisions inKnowledge Management in Organizations", International Journal ofInnovation, Management and Technology. vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 301-308, DOI:10.7763/IJIMT.2014.V5.530
- Ashby, A. Hudson Smith, M. and Shand, R. (2012) "Chapter 3: From principle to practice Embedding sustainability in clothing supply chain strategies," Sustainability in Fashion and Textiles: Values, Design, Production and Consumption (ed.Gardetti, M.A. and Torres, A.L. Greenleaf Publishing (forthcoming).
- Ashby, A. Leat, M. Hudson Smith, M. (2012) "Making Connections: A Review of Supply Chain Management and Sustainability Literature," Supply Chain Management: An International Journal Vol 17, No 5, pp497-516.
- Ashby, A. Hudson Smith, M. and Leat, M. (2013) "Definition into Action: Interpreting and Implementing Sustainability in Clothing Supply Chains," The International Journal of Sustainability Policy and Practice, Vol 8, No 2, pp.13-27.
- Liu, S. Leat, M. and Hudson Smith, M. (2011) "State of the Art Sustainability Analysis Methodologies for Efficient Decision Support in Green Production Operations", International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, iFirst, 15th April 2011.
- Leseure, M and Hudson Smith, M. (2010) "Guest Editorial" Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol 21; No 4. pp431-432.
- Leseure, M. and Hudson Smith, M. (2010) "Guest Editorial" Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol 21; No 3. pp317-319.
- Hudson Smith, M. and Smith, D. (2007) "Implementing Strategically Aligned Performance Measurement in Small Firms," Int. Journal of Production Economics, 106, pp 393-408.
- Hudson, M. Lean, J. and Smart, P.A. (2001) “Improving Control through Effective Performance Measurement in SMEs,” Production Planning & Control, 12/8, pp 804-813.
- Hudson, M. Smart, P.A. and Bourne, M. (2001) “Theory and Practice in SME Performance Measurement Systems,” Int. Journal of Operations & Production Management, 21/ 8, pp 1096-1115.
- Hudson Smith, M (2015) “An operations management approach toimproving University timetabling,” 22nd EurOMA Conference 2015,Neuchatel, Switzerland.
- Hudson Smith, M. (2014) “Just what the DoctorOrdered: Measuring Service Quality in GP Practices,” 21st EUROMA Conference2014, Palermo, Sicily
- Ashby, A. Hudson Smith, M. (2014) “PuttingPrinciples into Practice – How SMEs Manage their Supply Chains forSustainability,” 21st EUROMA Conference 2014, Palermo, Sicily.
- Dhakal, M. Hudson Smith, M. Newbery, R.(2014) “Reverse Logistics in Small Businesses: A research Agenda” ISBEConference, UK.Hudson Smith, M. (2012) "The Determinants of Patient Satisfaction in English GP Surgeries," Proceedings of the 4th P&OM Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands. epublication.
- Ashby, A. and Hudson Smith, M. (2012) "Tipping the Balance: Achieving the Triple Bottom Line in Global Supply Chains," Proceedings of the 4th P&OM Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands. epublication.
- Thornton C, Hudson Smith M, Howcroft B (2012) "An Operations Management Framework for Resource Identification" British Academy of Management Conference, Cardiff
- Ashby, A. Hudson Smith, M. (2012) "Sustainable Supply Chain Management: Towards a Holistic Understanding of the Triple Bottom Line?" 8th International Conference on Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, Vancouver, Canada.
- Jayawickrama, U. Liu, S. and Hudson Smith, M. (2012) "Knowledge Management for Enterprise Resource Planning System Implementations: A Conceptual Framework" BAM 2012, Cardiff.
- Jayawickrama, U. Liu, S. and Hudson Smith, M. (2012) "Knowledge Management Competence for ERP Implementation Success", EWG-DSS 2012 Workshop, Liverpool.
- Hudson Smith, M. Smith, D and Phippen, A. (2011) "The English Patient Experience: Does Healthcare Quality Matter?" Proceedings of the 18th International EurOMA Conference, Cambridge, UK. ePublication.
- Ashby, A. Leat, M. and Hudson Smith, M. (2011) “Sustainable Supply Chain Management – Towards a Holistic Understanding of the Triple Bottom Line?” EurOMA Conference 2011, Cambridge, UK ePublication.
- Ashby, A. Leat, M. and Hudson Smith, M. (2011) “Definition into Action – Interpreting and Implementing Sustainability in Clothing Supply Chains,” International Conference of Remanufacturing, Glasgow, UK.
- Hudson Smith, M, Moe, T. and Smith, D. (2006) "Ecommerce - Completing the Supply Chain," Proceedings of the 13th International EurOMA Conference, Glasgow, UK. pp587-590.
- Hudson Smith, M and Smith, D. (2005) "I'm Sorry We Can't Deliver...Fulfilling the E-Business Promise," Proceedings of the 12th International EurOMA Conference, Budapest, Hungary, pp849-853.
- Hudson, M and Smith, D. (2002) “Testing a Continuous Improvement Approach to Integrated Performance Measurement System Development,” Proceedings of the 9th International EurOMA Conference, Copenhagen Business School / Aalborg University, Denmark, pp709-716.
- Hudson, M. and Lean, J. (2001) “Developing a Continuous Strategic Improvement Capability in SMEs,” CD-ROM Proceedings of 16th Int. Conference on Production Research, CSVTS, Prague, Czech Rep.
- Hudson, M. and Smith, D. (2001) “Little and Often Works Best: Developing Integrated Performance Measurement in SMEs,” Proceedings of the 8th Internationsl EurOMA Conference, University of Bath, Bath, UK, pp 1015-1023.
- Hudson, M. Lean, J. Smart, P.A. and Bourne, M. (2000) “A Question of Context: The Barriers to Strategic Performance Measurement Systems Development in SMEs,” CD-ROM Proceedings of the 1st World Conference on Production and Operations Management, University of Seville, Seville, Spain.
- Hudson, M. Bourne, M. Lean, J. and Smart, P.A. (2000) “Only Just Managing – No Time to Measure,” Proceedings of the 2nd International Performance Measurement Conference, Cranfield University, Cranfield, UK, pp 243-250.
- Hudson, M. and Smith, D. (2000) “Running Before Walking: The Difficulties of Developing Strategic Performance Measurement Systems in SMEs," Proceedings of the 7th International EurOMA Conference, Academia Press Scientific Publishers, Gent, Belgium, pp 292-298.
- Hudson, M. Bennett, J. Smart, A. and Bourne, M. (1999) “Performance Measurement for Planning and Control in SMEs,” Proceedings of the Advances in Production Management Systems Conference, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Berlin, Germany, pp 219-225.
- Hudson, M. (2000) Continuous Strategic Improvement through Effective Performance Measurement: A Guide for SMEs, University of Plymouth, Plymouth.
- Bennett, J. Polkinghorne, M. Pearce, J. and Hudson, M. (1999) “Technology Transfer for SMEs,” Engineering Management Journal, 9/2, pp75-80.
- Burgess, E. and Hudson, M. (1998) ENGAGE Project (Exploiting New Graduates’ Abilities in Growth Enterprises) Final Report, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, UK.
Other academic activities
Reviewer for the following journals:
International Journal of Operations and Production Management
International Journal of Production Economics
International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management
Production Planning & Control
Management Research News
Reviewer for Int. Performance Measurement Conference.