- Room 301, Marine Building, Drake Circus
Dr Siming Zheng
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Marine Renewable Energy
School of Engineering (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Siming Zheng is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the COAST Engineering Research Group at the University of Plymouth.
B.Eng., summa cum laude, Harbour Waterway and Coastal Engineering, Tianjin University, China, 2011.
Ph.D., summa cum laude, Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University, China, 2016.
From November 2017 up to now, Siming Zheng works in the School of Engineering in University of Plymouth as a postdoctoral research fellow in marine renewable energy. Before that, he was a postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of Hydraulic Engineering at Tsinghua University after completing his PhD, and prior to that he used to work at University College Cork, Ireland for 12 months as a visiting PhD student.
Roles on external bodies
Referee for: Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Energy, Journal of Fluids and Structures, Ocean Engineering, Journal of Coastal Research, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, Regional Studies in Marine Science, PLOS ONE, ISOPE, EWTEC, etc.
His research interests include marine renewable energy, numerical and theoretical modelling of wave-structure interaction, and hydrodynamics of wave energy converters.
Grants & contracts
- Study on hydrodynamics of a Raft-type wave energy converter. Tsinghua University, China. General Financial Grant from China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, No. 2016M601041, CN ¥50,000 (£5,600), Siming Zheng (PI), 2016-2018.
- Study on hydrodynamics of a hybrid wave energy converter. Tsinghua University, China. Special Financial Grant from China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, No. 2017T10085, CN ¥150,000 (£16,800), Siming Zheng (PI), 2017-2018.
- Zhang, X., Zheng, S. , Lu, D., Tian, X., 2019. Numerical investigation of the dynamic response and power capture performance of a VLFS with a wave energy conversion unit. Engineering Structures, in press.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., Liu, Y., Iglesias, G., 2019. Wave radiation from multiple cylinders of arbitrary cross sections. Ocean Engineering, 184, 11-22.
- He, F., Zhang, H., Zhao, J., Zheng, S.*, Iglesias, G., 2019. Hydrodynamic performance of a pile-supported OWC breakwater: an analytical study. Applied Ocean Research, in press. DOI: 10.1016/j.apor.2019.03.022
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., Iglesias, G., 2019. Coast/breakwater-integrated OWC: a theoretical model. Marine Structures, 66, 121-135.
- Yu, H., Zheng, S.*, Zhang, Y., Iglesias, G., 2019. Wave radiation from a truncated cylinder of arbitrary cross section. Ocean Engineering, 173, 519-530.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., Iglesias, G., 2018. Wave-structure interaction in hybrid wave farms. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 83, 386-412.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., 2018. Analytical study on wave power extraction from a hybrid wave energy converter. Ocean Engineering, 165, 252-263.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., 2018. Theoretical modelling of a new hybrid wave energy converter in regular waves. Renewable Energy, 128, 125-141.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., 2017. Analysis for wave power capture capacity of two interconnected floats in regular waves. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 75, 158-173.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., 2017. Analytical study on hydrodynamic performance of a raft type wave power device. Journal of Marine Science and Technology, 22(4), 620-632.
- Yu, H., Zhang, Y., Zheng, S., 2016.Numerical study on the performance of a wave energy converter with three hinged bodies. Renewable Energy, 99,1276-1286.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., Sheng, W., 2016. Maximum theoretical power absorption of connected floating bodies under motion constraints. Applied Ocean Research, 58,95-103.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., Sheng, W., 2016. Maximum wave energy conversion by two interconnected floaters. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 138(3), p. 032004.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., 2016. Wave radiation from a truncated cylinder in front of a vertical wall. Ocean Engineering, 111,602-614.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., 2016. Wave diffraction and radiation by multiple rectangular floaters. Journal of Hydraulic Research, 54(1),102-115.
- Zheng, S.M. , Zhang, Y.H., Zhang Y.L., Sheng W.A., 2015. Numerical study on the dynamics of a two-raft wave energy conversion device. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 58, 271-290.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang Y., 2015. Wave diffraction from a truncated cylinder in front of a vertical wall. Ocean Engineering, 104, 329-343.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., 2014. Study on the power absorption of a raft-typed wave energy collector. Journal of Engineering of Heilongjiang University, 5(2), 7-13, 42. (in Chinese)
- Zhang,Y., Zheng, S. , 2014. Development of experimental teaching platform based on utilization of ocean wave energy. Experimental Technology and Management ,31(9), 69-71. (in Chinese)
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., Zhang, Q., Zhang, J., 2012. Numerical study on hydrodynamic characteristics of tide on both sides of T-type dam. Journal of Hydroelectric Engineering,31(6), 172-178. (in Chinese)
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., Sheng, W., 2015. Numerical study on the dynamics of a novel two-raft wave energy absorption device. 11th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference,6-11 September, Nantes, France. 07C1-3.
- Chen,W., Zhang, Y., Zheng, S., 2014. Advance in the study of wave energy dissipation of floating bodies. 2nd Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference ,28-31 July, Tokyo, Japan.
- Zheng, S. , Zhang, Y., Chen, W., 2014. Optimization of the power take-off system in oscillating wave surge converter. Research Progress of Ocean Energy Technology in 2014. 83-91. (inChinese)
- Zheng, S. , 2018. Study on hydrodynamic characteristics of the Raft-type wave-powered desalination device. Springer, Singapore. (Spinger Theses; ISSN 2190-5053; electronic ISSN 2190-5061; Book DOI: 10.1007/978-981-10-5517-1)
- A Wave Energy Pump. ZL201310103861.8.(in Chinese), Inventors: Zhang, Y., Zheng, S.
- A Hydraulic Wave Energy Pump. ZL201310273219.4.(in Chinese) ,Inventors: Zhang, Y., Zheng, S.
- A Hydraulic Wave Energy Pump with Water Tanks. ZL201310273540.2. (in Chinese), Inventors: Zhang, Y., Zheng,S.
- A Raft-type Wave Energy Pump with Output Performance Adjustable. ZL201410408972.4. (in Chinese), Inventors: Zhang, Y., Zheng,S.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
- Zheng, S. , Iglesias, G., 2018. Intelligent Community Energy (ICE) report T1.4: Resource Assessment Marine Sections Overview. pp. 1-44.