Dr Sung-Hwan Jang
Lecturer in Civil Engineering
School of Engineering (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University, 2015
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Yonsei University, 2008
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Yeungnam University, 2004
- 2017-Present: Lecturer, Civil & Coastal Engineering, Plymouth University
- 2017: Postdoctoral Researcher, Aerospace Engineering, Delft University of Technology
- 2015-2017: Postdoctoral Fellow, Robotics Institutes, Carnegie Mellon University
- Multi-functional polymer-/cementitious-based composites
- Advanced sensors for structural health monitoring
- Smart coating system for temperature sensing and de-icing
- Self-healing polymer-/cementitious-based composites
Grants & contracts
1. Sung-Hwan Jang (2018-2019). Multifunctional Transport Road Coating System for Winter Maintenance. Funded by Rees Jeffreys Road Fund. Total award £25,000. Single PI.
2. Sung-Hwan Jang, Shakil Awan, Alistair Cree and John Summerscales(2018-2019). Smart Skin for Infrastructure: Fracture Sensing andElectromagnetic Interference Shielding. Funded by the University of Plymouth.Total award £2,500. PI.
3. AsiyaKhan, Richard Pemberton and Sung-Hwan Jang (2018-2019). Toward SmartCity: Air and Sound Pollution Monitoring using Internet of Things. Funded by the University of Plymouth. Total award £2,500. Co-PI.
4. Sung-Hwan Jang (2018). Breathing Life into TransportInfrastructure: Development of a Hydrophobic, Freezing Temperature Sensing, andSelf-Heating Road Coating System. Funded by the Department for Transport (DfT).Total award £30,000. Single PI.
5. Sung-Hwan Jang (2017-2018). Multi-functional Composites for CivilInfrastructures. Funded by the University of Plymouth. Total award £3,000.Single PI.