For adult nursing students undertaking their study in Plymouth
Welcome to your first year in the School of Nursing and Midwifery at the University of Plymouth. You are starting on a fascinating intellectual and professional journey and you will need to stay focused and work hard, but should also aim to enjoy your studies and make the most of your time as a member of the School of Nursing and Midwifery and the University.
You will see from the timetable below that Induction week will give you the chance to find out more about the nursing course and to meet staff and fellow students. You will also become familiar with the University both its campus and the services available to support you. There are so many opportunities for you to engage with, which will add to your experience and help you grow both academically and personally.
On behalf of the staff and students, I welcome you to the University of Plymouth and look forward to meeting you.
Message from Louise Winfield, Interim Head of School of Nursing and Midwifery.
There are a number of activities you need to complete before you start your studies with the University of Plymouth
- Complete online enrolment by Monday 17 September 2018
- Complete photo upload by Monday 17 September 2018
The forms below are based on the University's open learning platform. You will be asked to create an account to enable you to complete the forms.
- Complete your name badge form by Wednesday 12 September 2018
- Complete the self declaration. As this form needs to be current it is only available from Monday 10 September 2018 and should be completed by Monday 17 September 2018
The documents below are available for information and download
- Check list for all the activity you need to undertake
- Pre-course reading list
- Key dates.
Documents to bring with you on Monday 17 September 2018
- Passport (to enable you to collect your University card)
- Any documents requested by the admissions team.
Timetable for Year 1 induction week
Monday 17 September 2018
- 10:00–12:00 Rolle Marquee (adjacent to Rolle Building)
Welcome to the University of Plymouth and an Introduction to the BSc (Hons) Nursing Adult course
Carol Coleman Field Lead for Adult Nursing and Tracey Viney, Stage Lead for Year 1,
Academic staff, professional services team
- 10:30–12:00 Rolle Marquee (running alongside the session above)
Session: Information and card collection (this session will run alongside the session above)
Speaker: School of Nursing and Midwifery professional services team
Provision of the documents requested below will enable you to complete your enrolment and collect your University card. Your University card enables you to access the University library and Students' Union.
- Your passport
- Any documents you have been requested to provide by the admissions team
- If your fees are paid by a sponsor, you will need to provide us with written confirmation of the agreement. Please bring this information with you.
- 12:00–13:00 lunch break
Tea and coffee will be available over lunch time. Please bring your own lunch, or buy it from one of the food outlets available. This is an opportunity to meet your fellow students from all fields of nursing and midwifery.
- 13:00–14:00 Rolle Marquee
Session: Welcome to the Faculty of Health and Human Sciences and School of Nursing and Midwifery
Speakers: Professor Bridie Kent, Dean and Louise Winfield, Head of School of Nursing and Midwifery
- 14:00–15:00 Rolle Marquee
Carol Coleman, Field Lead and Tracey Viney, Year 1 Stage lead
Nadine Abelson-Mitchell, Senior Personal Tutor and personal tutors
Tuesday 18 September 2018
Occupational health appointments will take place throughout the day. Please see separate information relating to these appointments.
- 1000–1200 (please see rooms below)
- 12:00–13:00 lunch break
- 13:00–14:00 Roland Levinsky Lecture Theatre 1
Speaker: Janet Kelsley, Child Health Lecture / Sarah Howes, Mental Health Lecturer
- 14:00–15:00 Roland Levinsky Lecture Theatre 1
Speaker: Professor Ray Jones
- 15:00–16:00 Roland Levinsky Lecture Theatre 1
Session: introduction to technology and information services
Speaker: information specialist
- 16:00–17:00 Babbage 402
Sessions: drop in session
Wednesday 19 September 2018
- 10:00–11:00 Robbins Lecture Theatre
Session: equality and diversity: University of Plymouth
Speaker: Andy Grace, Senior Administrator, Equality and Diversity Support
- 11:00–12:00 Robbins Lecture Theatre
Session: the nursing experience: a personal story
Speakers: Tom Walvin, Suzi Robinson, Lisa-Marie Rowe
- 12:00–13:00 lunch break
- 13:00–15:00 Robbins Lecture Theatre
- 15:00–16:00 Robbins Lecture Theatre
Session: introduction to peer assist learning sessions (PALs)
Speaker: Jennie Aronsson, Lecturer in adult nursing
- 16:00–17:00 Babbage 105 (computer suite)
Thursday 20 September 2018
- 10:00–11:00 Cookworthy 404, Cookworthy 505, Rolle 114, Rolle 117, Rolle 206, Babbage 002, Babbage 319, Davey 508, Fitzroy 212
- 11:00–11:30 Roland Levinsky Lecture Theatre 1
Session: Disability Services
Speaker: Nicola Ayer, Disability Advisor
- 11:30–12:00 Roland Levinsky Lecture Theatre 1
Session: University counselling service
Speaker: Dawn Hastings, Student Counsellor
- 12:00–13:00 Lunch break
- 13:00–13:30 Sherwell Lower Lecture Theatre
Session: An introduction to placement learning
Speaker: Adele Kane, Associate Head of School, placement learning
- 13:30–16:00 Sherwell Foyer and Mezzanine
Session: placement fayre drop in: an opportunity to meet placement providers and find out more about their placement area
Speakers: placement providers from across the South West
- 16:00–17:00 Babbage 204
Session: drop in for students with queries
Speakers: academic staff/student representatives
- 19:15–21:45 Graduation Marquee, Plymouth Hoe
Friday 21 September 2018
There are no sessions scheduled for Friday 21 September 2018. Please take the opportunity to become familiar with:
- Moodle site 3303X
- Select your basic life support and manual handling groups
- POPPI website
- Library pages