FAQs and useful information

Application FAQs

Semester two

Students who are studying at the University of Plymouth for semester two can make an application on our accommodation portal. Room offers will be sent to students in December and will be required to sign a licence agreement and pay a £250.00 deposit within seven days.

Instalment one - this payment is for 13 weeks' rent and is due on 19 January 2019

Instalment two - this payment is for nine weeks' rent and is due on 27 April 2019


Information will be emailed to students once you have paid your deposit and signed the licence. You will also be able to join your hall Facebook groups to meet your new neighbours before you arrive.

Am I guaranteed a hall room?

We guarantee a place in halls - either University-managed or from accredited private providers - to all undergraduate first-year students who make Plymouth their firm first choice and apply by 10 May 2019.

How do I select my hall preferences?

Bookings are made on a first come, first served basis and your hall of residence and room type will normally be confirmed within 72 hours.

How do I apply?

You will receive an email when the accommodation portal is open. Then you can make your booking on a first come first served basis.

Key Dates

  • 10 May - accommodation guarantee closes
  • end of June onwards - room offers are sent to students
  • end of July onwards - arrival information and timeslots are sent
  • 7 September -  International, Medical and Dentistry arrivals
  • 13/14 September - main arrivals for university halls of residence.

When will room offers be sent?

Room offers will be released from the end of June onwards. To secure the room a £250 deposit is required followed by four week's rent in advance (due early September). If the fours week's rent in advance is going to be problematic, please make contact with the Accommodation Office. Please note that only the student intending to live in the room can sign the halls of residence licence agreement.

How do I find out moving day instructions for September 2019?

Prior to moving in, information will be provided on the university website. This will include route maps, parking and hotel information. Specific moving time slots will be emailed to you.

Can another person discuss my account with Accommodation Services?

During the application process, you will have the opportunity to add third party permission contact details. We can only talk to those people listed as the third party contact in the accommodation application due to data protection. Please note this is not the same as listing someone as your emergency contact as the third party permissions will not apply to them. If you wish to add someone as a third party contact you will need to do so in writing from the email address listed on your account, otherwise, we cannot discuss your details.

Life skills to develop before you move to university

  • How to budget for rent, food, shopping and social life
  • Basic cookery, cleaning and laundry skills
  • Social skills for living with new people
  • Understanding responsibilities such as paying bills and signing important documents such as housing contracts
  • Safety and personal security in a new city with new people
  • Research all of the facilities at University of Plymouth before you arrive.

Portal (University managed halls)

How do I log in?

  • Please visit our accommodation portal. If it is your first time visiting the portal you will need to enter your email address you used for your UCAS application and press ‘generate password’. This will send an email to your account within 30 minutes with your six digit password.
  • Please type in this number rather than copy and paste it as some browsers are not compatible.

I’ve forgotten my username/password. How can I log in?

  • Your accommodation portal username is your registered UCAS email address.
  • If you have forgotten your password, enter your email address and click generate password.

My password is not arriving in my email inbox:

  • High levels of traffic may delay the release of your email. Please wait another 30 minutes
  • Have you checked your junk folder?
  • Check the email address - make sure there are no spaces at the start or end of it. Please do not copy and paste the email address.

I’m getting an error message when I log into the portal

Status Reason
Password could not be sent. We are waiting for your University account to be updated from UCAS. Please try to log in again in 24 hours.
Your details were not found. Please contact the University directly. Your password will be a six digit number.  If you do have your six-digit password there is an error with log in details, please check the email address you have entered.
Please wait for 30 minutes and try logging in again. You may have entered your details incorrectly, please wait 30 minutes and try to log in again.

Additional requirements

If you have any specific requirements, such as you are tall and require a longer bed, please add this information on the additional information section on the halls application form. We cannot guarantee to meet all requirements. 


I want to make a payment for my accommodation

When your payment is due you'll automatically receive an email asking you to log in to our accommodation portal and pay using a credit or debit card.

When are my payments due throughout the year?

The remaining rent is split into three, at the beginning of each semester. These dates tie in with payments from the student finance company. These are detailed in your licence agreement.

  • June - £250.00 deposit must be paid within seven days of your room offer
  • 8 September - four weeks' rent in advance
  • 6 October - rent instalment due (14 weeks' rent)
  • 12 January - rent instalment due (14 weeks' rent)
  • 27 April - rent instalment due (nine weeks' rent).

If you forget your password

Please login to the accommodation portal using the email address you provided to UCAS. You'll be able to request a new password. Alternatively please contact Residence Life.

Where can I find my contract length and weekly rent?

Please see our current price list.

If you forget your password

Please login to the accommodation portal using the email address you provided to UCAS. You'll be able to request a new password. 

Where can I find my contract length and weekly rent?

Please see your student licence agreement.

Can I bring a bike/watersport equipment?

Halls on campus 

  • A limited number of bicycles and water-sports storage facilities are provided free of charge. Please arrange this with your hall reception upon arrival.

Halls within walking distance

  • There is a limited number of spaces available on a first come first served basis - this must be arranged at the hall reception.

Please note: Bicycles and water-sports equipment are not permitted in bedrooms or any communal areas for health and safety reasons. Bicycles must be stored in a bicycle storage room within designated buildings or the outdoor bicycle racks. If you have a bicycle it is essential to insure it and lock it.

Bicycles stored in other areas, for example on railings etc, will be removed by the facilities management team. Personal diving equipment, including high-pressure diving cylinders, full or empty, cannot be stored in or around halls.

University of Plymouth will not cover loss or damage to items in a halls storage area.

Can I bring a car?

We do not provide parking spaces for our halls of residence and parking is very limited in the centre of Plymouth. All the halls of residence are close to both the University and the city centre. Public transport links are very good; for example, there is a frequent bus to Derriford Hospital.

There are various spaces around campus for blue badge holders.

Please note: If you park on campus or any of our halls without a valid permit then you are liable to be fined, which we are sure you will want to avoid. So please make sure that you park only where you are permitted to do so.

General information


All University-managed accommodation is non-smoking and a fine will be applied to those who do not comply.


When vacating your room at the end of your contract, please ensure you change your postal address.

Can I register with a doctor?

You can register with a GP at the University Medical Centre on campus who work with two surgeries Beaumont Villa Surgery and Peverell Park Surgery. You may also call +44 1752 222341 or visit the University Medical Centre website for further information.

Do I need to pay for a TV License? 

Yes - if you are watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes, including download. Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you're plugged in to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or if you download programmes. If there are TVs in communal areas, check with your halls' manager to see if they’re covered by as on any channel.

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. If you do any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay. You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one.

To find out more, go to tvlicensing.co.uk/studentinfo

How can I buy a TV Licence?

There are lots of different ways to buy a TV Licence. Whether that’s through weekly cash payments, using your nearest PayPoint outlet, spreading the cost with monthly, quarterly or yearly direct debit, credit/debit card or by post – just choose the one that suits you best.

For more information on the ways to pay, go to tvlicensing.co.uk/payinfo

If I live in halls, won’t I already be covered by a TV Licence? 

Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you're plugged in to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or if you download programmes. If there are TVs in communal areas, check with your halls' manager to see if they’re covered by a halls' licence.

What if I live in a shared house? 

You'll probably only need one licence between you if you have a joint tenancy agreement for the whole house – this is the most common type of shared house arrangement. You might need your own licence if your accommodation is self-contained. That means you have exclusive access to washing facilities, or your own entrance to the property. You will also need your own licence if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your own room. If you're not sure, check our advice for tenants and lodgers.

Won't my parents' licence cover me? 

Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at uni unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.

What if I'm not at uni for the summer? 

If you're leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV Licence if there's one at home. You can see our policy and apply for a refund online.

 What if I don’t need a licence?

If you don’t need a TV Licence, you still need to let TV Licensing know.

University approved off campus private accommodation

All of the student houses on Plymouth StudentPad have been inspected by a member of the Accommodation team, to ensure that they are suitable for our students. This is the only way to find University approved properties.

If you are a prospective student of the University of Plymouth, or currently studying here, we can guide you in your search for private housing.

Start your search for private housing using our service

Halls of residence addresses

  • Francis Drake Hall of Residence, James Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 6AP
  • Gilwell Hall of Residence, Tavistock Place, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AP
  • Mary Newman Hall of Residence, Portland Square, Plymouth, Devon PL4 6DH
  • Pilgrim Hall of Residence, Gibbon Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BT
  • Radnor Hall of Residence, 10 Gilwell Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BX
  • Robbins Hall of Residence, Gibbon Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BZ
  • Astor House, 163 Notte St, Plymouth PL1 2AQ
  • Central Point, 50 Royal Parade, Plymouth, Devon PL1 1DZ
  • Discovery Heights, 27-31 Cobourg Street, Plymouth, Devon PL1 1UH.

Please note: when vacating your room at the end of your contract, please ensure you change your postal address.