Accommodation information for specific applicant groups

International students

You can only apply if you are holding a CF (conditional) or UF (unconditional) academic offer with Plymouth.

International Student Advice (ISA) advise students that it is not a requirement of a visa application to have pre-booked accommodation, only that you can afford the usual living costs for housing within our geographical area. Find out more about visa applications.

Exchange students

If you are a full academic year exchange student, book your hall room through the accommodation portal

If you are a short-term exchange student (one term only), you can also have a room in halls and benefit from our residence community by emailing the Residence Life Team.

We recommend that international and exchange students join our hall community. Why?

  • If you're in university managed accommodation you'll benefit from fully-inclusive bills, access to the internet and 24-hour security.
  • You will have a hall team to support your experience of living in a new country.

If you have any questions please contact the Residence Life Team or the International Student Advice (ISA). Please include your full name and Plymouth University student reference number in all correspondence.  We will be very happy to help you.

Students with disabilities and medical conditions

We have a number of rooms which already have basic additional facilities installed and may be helpful for applicants with particular requirements.

Learn more about what we can offer

Care leavers

If you're a care leaver we guarantee suitable, non-funded University accommodation to you for 365 days of the year, and for each year of your studies, if you need it. This includes 24-hour access to pastoral support from the Residence Life Team (except during the summer break). All you need to do is tell us that you're a care leaver when you apply for accommodation and we will liaise with the University's Care Leavers' Service.

If you require year-round accommodation, your contract can be extended. You don’t need to pick a more expensive room with a long contract, we can extend your existing contract to, for instance, cover the summer break (but this may not be in the same room or hall as you are in for the rest of the year). If you have any questions about this, please contact us. 

Under 18s 

In line with our philosophy of providing a supportive environment, Plymouth University is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of all of our students, including our under-18 students. 

  • The Residence Life office will ensure where possible that you are housed with other students of a similar age and with a member of the Residence Life team.
  • The hall team will hold regular meetings to help you integrate into the residential community. 

As partners in the provision of a safe and supportive environment for each resident we require the parent(s)/guardian(s) of an under-18 resident to:

  • Agree that the Residence Life team and the University cannot assume parental responsibility for the under-18 resident.
  • Advise your son/daughter may not enter licensed premises while they are under-18.
  • Advise your son/daughter that they may not hold office while they are under-18.
  • Guarantee to honour the accommodation contract for your son/daughter.

While the Residence Life team will make every effort to provide the best possible living environment for you, it is ultimately the responsibility of you and your parent(s)/guardian(s) to assess whether the accommodation on offer is suitable to your needs and whether its terms of occupancy are reasonable.

Partner college students

If you are transferring from one of our partner colleges and would like to live in halls of residence please contact the Residence Life Team. 

Partner College students can also access our database of approved accommodation. You can:

  • choose from a wide range of different types of accommodation to suit your needs and budgets
  • visit the campus and the surrounding area to choose a preferred location.

Students with families

All University accommodation is for single occupancy. If you intend to bring your family, you are advised to look at private rented accommodation in the city, for example with local letting agencies or through private landlords advertising in newspapers or on websites.

The Residence Life Team will be able to:

  • provide honest and fair advice when discussing the housing options available to you and deal with any other queries you may have
  • talk about other sources of obtaining accommodation information
  • provide advice regarding any contracts that you have been asked to sign.