University approved private accommodation

Home from home with the University of Plymouth 

We have our own database of approved private off-campus accommodation called Plymouth Studentpad. All of the student share properties have been assessed by the Private Housing Officer for suitability and safety before we advertise them to our students. These are the only properties in Plymouth that have been inspected by the University of Plymouth. When looking at property from our Plymouth Studentpad database, you may find our property viewing checklist useful.

New students

Once you have turned unconditional firm, please register to browse our approved properties within close proximity to the campus.

Social media

Updates will be posted throughout the year on social media providing you with accommodation news and advice.

What we do

  • All properties have been inspected by the Accommodation Office
  • Our service is not for profit - we're free!
  • Studentpad is a service for University of Plymouth students only
  • Our landlords offer tenancies from ten months
  • The Accommodation is in the heart of campus
  • We provide advice for all housing matters
  • Read more about what we do

How to use our service

  • Register on Plymouth Studentpad
  • Wait for your account to be activated (up to 48 hours)
  • Browse the property adverts
  • Contact the landlords directly and arrange to view the properties in person
  • Make sure you are happy with the property, landlord and tenancy before signing the agreement
  • Agree to the terms with the landlord by signing the tenancy and paying a deposit

Courtyard in a student shared house.

Average costs for renting private accommodation.

Take a look at the average prices for University approved private accommodation for the 2017-18 academic year.

There is a wide variety of private accommodation to suit all budgets.

Private accommodation price list

Need some accommodation advice?

We’ve provided you with some information and advice on finding accommodation, tenancy agreements and deposits.

Read our accommodation advice

What we do

After your first year you may want to share a house with your friends, or move into a house with people you don't already know and make new friends.

Our off campus private accommodation has been approved to meet our high standards of safety and suitability

Find out how we can help you find a new home

What's it like moving from halls to house?

University of Plymouth offers an approved accommodation database called Studentpad. All I had to do was register with my uni email address and I was then able to search for houses depending on rooms, location and budget. Simple.

Jack Warren is a second year living in a student house with four other people. We asked him about the move from halls to a house…

Read more about Jack's experience in a student house

University Approved Private Accommodation for International Students

The Residence Life and Student Accommodation team are available to offer advice and guidance on properties that you will find on the university’s database of private property, and to help you make the right choice when looking for your new home.

All of the properties on Plymouth Studentpad have been inspected by Residence Life for safety and suitability.

Find out more about student housing in Plymouth

Students with families

If you are enrolling on a course of study in Plymouth, you may choose to bring your partner/spouse and your children, for the duration of your course. Finding family accommodation can be challenging as you may have other matters to consider.

What to do if you choose to bring your partner/spouse and your children? Here is some essential information you may need to make your move hassle free

Students with families

Right to Rent

It is a regulation that all landlords must check whether potential tenants are entitled to reside in the UK. It is important that you have the correct information to hand to show your prospective landlord, and the following link will give you information on the documentation that landlords should ask for, before allowing you to rent their property.

Right to Rent Document Checks: a User Guide

  • If you need any additional support whilst staying at University of Plymouth you can drop into the UPSU Advice Centre at Plymouth Student's Union. 
  • Alternatively you could also seek additional advice through the national organisation SHELTER.