Landlord news

Our database is now open for Homestay property applications only (this is a room in a landlord's own home). University of Plymouth will consider properties which are located within a two mile radius of its main campus.

Such is the increasing call for Homestay accommodation in sites where our medical and education students carry out placements, we also except Homestay applications for areas such as Truro, Taunton, the Torbay area and other outlying towns where there are easily accessible routes to hospitals and schools. If you are a landlord who offers such accommodation, please contact our office directly for further information. 

Please note that for the foreseeable future, we are not currently accepting new landlords and their properties onto our database for student share accommodation.

However, if you are buying a property that has been registered on our Studentpad database for over 12 months we will consider the possibility of continuing its inclusion under your ownership as a new landlord to us. 

Please note that you must fully manage the property yourself. Please contact our office should you wish to discuss this further.

If you are a landlord already registered with us, we will still receive your landlord registration forms and safety certificates for any new properties that you have acquired, and you will be contacted for an appointment to view your property in due course. You must print off our Landlord Application Form, and when you have completed it,  return to our office along with the requested safety documents. Only on receipt of these documents will you be contacted and an appointment to inspect the property, booked.

*Please note that you can only register on our database if you are a landlord directly managing your own properties.

Please ensure that you give the How to Rent booklet, that the government have produced, to your new tenants.

What we do:

  • inspect student properties for suitability and safety
  • offer independent advice and guidance
  • marketing via the Plymouth Studentpad database
  • promote the benefits of using Studentpad at events, on social media and with students personally.

What we expect:

  • landlords are not permitted to charge additional fees to our students
  • landlords must be sympathetic when dealing with the student market
  • properties are to be well maintained and managed to a high standard
  • student properties must be solely managed by the landlord, and it is our expectation that you comply fully with requests as stipulated by law. 

Location of approved accommodation

This is an important factor for students when choosing their accommodation.

Currently, students prefer to live in: Greenbank, Hyde Park, Lipson, Mutley, North Hill, North Road East, Pennycomequick, Peverell and St Judes.

In addition to these areas, we will also accept properties in: the upper end of North Road West, the Barbican, Coxside, Mannamead, Milehouse, Millbridge, Mount Gould, Prince Rock, Stoke, Stonehouse and the Hoe. If your property is not in these areas, please contact our office for further discussion.

Meeting you and visiting your property

University policy:

  • Meet with the landlord for the purpose of a full property inspection. Appointment dates and times may be limited and you will receive a telephone call from a member of our team to arrange the meeting with the Private Housing Officer. At this stage, your continued inclusion will be considered. If the last inspection date exceeds 24 months, any adverts placed by landlords may not be promoted to our students until the inspection takes places. Should a landlord wish to contact our office to book for the inspection of their property/ies, they may telephone 01752 588644 to arrange this.

  • The Private Housing Officer will be looking for health and safety issues but the responsibility for compliance with legal requirements remains with the landlord.

To be included on Studentpad the property must have:

  • Mains linked smoke detection on each level of the property, with a heat detector in the kitchen.
  • 2kg dry powder fire extinguisher wall mounted on each level of the property, as set out in the LACORS standards for rented accommodation.
  • A fire blanket to be wall mounted in the kitchen area.
  • A substantial door to the kitchen area to protect the hallway and the remainder of the property in the instance of fire.
  • A carbon monoxide detector must be installed within the property.  If the boiler is situated within a letting bedroom, this unit must be linked to the mains. However, if the boiler is in a kitchen, a battery operated unit will suffice.  
  • Utilities (gas and electric) must be on a quarterly meter in all cases.  We do not accept property onto our register where the students have to use a key/card, as it is your responsibility to ensure heat and light to all communal areas and this would include the constant supply to the mains fire alarm system.
  • All separate WCs must have a wash hand basin. The exception would be if all letting bedrooms have their own wash hand basin. 

What we look for during inspections

The exterior of the property

  • Is the front exterior tidy and well presented?
  • Is paintwork clean and fresh?
  • Do the gutters appear clear from blockages?
  • Does the roof appear to be free from any loose tiles?
  • Is the rear area of the property clear from overgrowth and is the ground clear from any slip hazards?

The inside of the property


  • Are there enough electrical sockets? We look for three double sockets per bedroom.
  • Do the windows open for ventilation – are they in good repair?
  • Is the furniture provided fit for purpose?
  • Are the floors and walls in good repair and floor covering well maintained?

Bathroom/shower rooms

  • Are there enough facilities for the number of tenants in the property?
  • Is the flooring to these rooms appropriate and in good repair?
  • Is an extractor fan fitted to aid ventilation?
  • Do all separate WCs have a wash hand basin as per the regulations?


  • Are there enough cooking facilities for the number of tenants in the property?
  • Are there the correct number of dishwashing facilities for the number of tenants?
  • Is there enough work preparation surface space adequate for the number of tenants?
  • Is the flooring adequate and in good repair?

Communal areas (hallways and separate lounge)

  • Is the flooring in good repair?
  • Are the banister rails in good repair without spindles missing?
  • Are lounge suites in good repair and fit for purpose?
  • All internal doors must be in good repair and final exit doors must also be in good repair with thumb turn locks.

Grading your property

The Private Housing Officer grade on the basis of their comparison of approximately 500 registered properties and their considerable experience. You will be given an explanation and suggestions of improvements recommended/required. Standards are constantly rising and the standards for each grade reflect these changes.

Grading and safety are separate issues. All properties, irrespective of grade, are expected to comply with all appropriate safety standards. 

Grade A:
  • Most popular choice for students and their parents/guardians. 
  • Refers to high standard properties both in presentation and space.
  • Flooring, décor, furnishings and external decoration are maintained to an 'as new' standard
  • A good ratio of 'as new' facilities to the number of residents, central heating or equivalent and double glazing or 'as new' windows.
  • Often includes facilities such as a separate lounge/social area, broadband, dishwashers, barbecues and digital or sky television for tenants.
Grade B:
  • A high quality property
  • Some features may not be 'as new'. For example, the carpets may be perfectly sound but are now slightly marked
  • Level of facilities may be comparable to an A grade property although they may be less consistent in quality. In some cases a B grade property may have smaller rooms or less communal space
  • Have central heating or equivalent and the windows will be in good order.
Grade C: 
  • Basic standard that is in a clean condition at the start of the tenancy
  • General furnishings and fittings may be older and marked and carpets may be older and worn
  • The interior and the exterior of the property could possibly benefit from redecoration. May have only the basic furnishing with fewer additional comforts.
  • Could have all the facilities contained within a Grade A property but the presentation of the whole property may be old fashioned or be in need of decoration.
What students need:
  • A copy of their tenancy agreement
  • Information on where their deposit is being held
  • A copy of the "How to Rent" booklet
  • Appropriate information on how faults and other concerns can be reported and an indication of usual timescales for different types of repairs
  • A contact method - a means to contact you.
  • A prompt and courteous response when they make contact with you.

Safe to let?

Most of the accidents in the home involve faults in, or misuse of, domestic appliances, flexes, plugs or connectors. A large number are related to electrical maintenance or DIY activities.

Landlords’ Guide to Electrical Safety