Students with families

Are you bringing your family to live in Plymouth whilst you study?

If you are enrolling on a course of study in Plymouth, you may choose to bring your partner/spouse and your children, for the duration of your course. Finding family accommodation can be challenging as you may have other matters to consider, such as schools or a nursery for your children, and close proximity to bus links if choosing to live in one of Plymouth’s suburbs.

Practical hint and tips

If at all possible, it would be wise to consider coming to Plymouth a short time before your course starts, on your own, to secure accommodation for your family. If you all arrive in Plymouth just as your course is due to start in September, temporary hotel accommodation will be expensive for the whole family, and finding your permanent home may be more pressurised due to the time of year. Whilst you look for your permanent home, we have information on our hotels/guest houses available. We would never recommend signing a tenancy agreement on a property that you have not personally visited.

You may register on Studentpad using your email and university student reference number. Once your unconditional status has been confirmed, you will be granted access and able to view all available properties that our landlords have to offer.

You may find a suitable property on our Studentpad database, depending on the time of year you are looking; however, if there are no suitable properties showing as available, you will need to investigate other options through property management agencies.

Legal and financial implications

Our own registered landlords start their tenancy agreements for a fixed period of ten months, yet most property agents start tenancy agreements for the minimum of a six month period. However you secure your home, it is crucial that you ensure the house you have chosen meets your whole family’s needs in relation to size of bedrooms, cost, location and facilities. Once you have signed the tenancy agreement, you are tied to pay rent on the property for the fixed period stated on the tenancy.

If you do not have a UK based guarantor, the landlord or agency may ask for a substantial up-front payment for rent, so do make sure that you are financially prepared for this.

You may also need to pay a deposit to secure the property. This can often be approximately one months’ rent.

It is important to note that if your partner is not a student, the property where you chose to live will be liable for Council Tax. For further information, please investigate the local authorities website.