NMH Frequently asked questions (FAQs) for 2016
1. Can I work with my students over the summer?
If you work with the student through a company such as Randstad, Amano or Clearlinks – please liaise with that company directly. If you work independently, please follow the guidance below:
2. Does my student have to use all their hours up over the summer
- If your student wants to meet, still has hours available and they are not in their final year, you can continue to work with your student without confirmation from the funding body (e.g. SFE)
- If your student does not have hours left, they have summer referral work and they were originally assessed by Access South West, a Disability Advisor will need to request additional recommendations from the funding body. Please ask your student to contact Disability Services with clear information about the referral work, reasons for the referral and disability related reasons as to why the student needs support
- If your student does not have hours left, they have summer referral work but they were not assessed by Access South West, your student will need to approach their current assessor to request additional hours. They would need to identify why additional hours were needed in terms of referral work etc and disability related reasons for the additional hours being needed.
- If the student is graduating then support can only continue up until their last deadline/exam date.
- If your student is in their final year and they have summer referral work/extensions, a Disability Advisor will need to request additional recommendations from the funding body. Please ask your student to contact Disability Services with clear information about the referral work with evidence (the student would usually receive written confirmation from their faculty, usually an email), reasons for the referral and disability related reasons as to why the student needs support.
No, your student is not obliged to use their full entitlement each year. Support should be student led – it is their choice.
3. What's going on with the audit for direct tutoring to SFE? They have not disclosed the process for this but, they are expecting us to sign up to it not knowing what the process is, or the costs. Is there any further info on this?
From a recent meeting with an SFE representative, we understand that BIS are looking at 3 or 4 tier audit process but costs have not been released as yet :
- larger suppliers (30 or more) will have onsite audits
- some suppliers will be self-assessments
- some hybrids – so possible mix of self-assessment and onsite audit.