Care leavers – before you start

Thinking about enrolling on one of our courses?

If you’re thinking of joining us at the University of Plymouth, we're available to provide you with information and help you to establish what support you might need during your time at university.

We encourage you to declare your care leaver status on your UCAS application form by answering ‘yes’ to the question ‘have you ever been in care?’. This is the first step to unlocking the range of support that is available to you, and we’ll get in touch shortly after you submit your application. If you are not applying via UCAS, please get in touch with us directly.

Alternatively, your Leaving Care team can put you in touch with us or you can make contact yourself by using the contact details on these pages.

What to do before you get here:

  • Disclose that you are a care leaver to UCAS, Student Finance England (SFE) and the University (including the accommodation residence life team and the finance team).
  • Ask your local authority for financial help.
  • Declare as independent with Student Finance England (SFE).
  • If you have a disability let us know when you apply. This will help us to work with you to ensure that you have the right support while you're studying with us, and to allow us to put that support in place for you in good time. Find out more about disclosing your disability.