Care Leavers – further support

Where else can I find support within the University? 

A whole range of services are available within learning support and wellbeing, and across the University:

  • Student Wellbeing Services offers a range of counselling sessions which can help you to explore and deal with problems impacting your academic work as well as your enjoyment of university life.
  • Mental Health Support work alongside you to offer support if your mental health is having a serious impact on your life at University. They offer advice if you are concerned about your own or someone else's mental health.
  • The Listening Post is a drop-in service for students, staffed by trained volunteers. You'll find them in the heart of the University at the Student Services Hub, Monday–Friday between 10:00–16:00 (term time only).
  • SHINE is created by students, counsellors and researchers. Watch, read, listen, find apps and useful links to the best online resources and information about mental health and well-being.
  • Disability Services may be able to help you with disability-related support, for example, if you have dyslexia or have been diagnosed with a mental health difficulty.
  • Learning development offers help with exam revision and getting organised as well as reading effectively and essay writing.  
  • The multi-faith chaplaincy offers a place to drop-in and talk to someone, whatever your beliefs. 
  • UPSU Support and Advice, part of the Students' Union, provides advice about a whole host of issues including academic, consumer, debt, housing, legal, student funding and welfare benefits.
  • The Student Funding Unit offers advice on student loans and grants, information on bursaries and scholarships, and help with extra financial support.
  • Student jobs can help you find part-time work or temporary work over the holidays.
  • PALS – our peer-assisted learning scheme.
  • Careers and Employability – information, advice and guidance for our students and graduates on building skills, experience and contacts to improve employability


If you tell them you’re a care leaver you can benefit from 365-day accommodation.

Somewhere to live all year round

365-day accommodation in University-managed halls is available for you. If you’d like 365-day accommodation, it’s important that you mention this when booking your accommodation through the University of Plymouth accommodation website. Alternatively, contact us and we can notify the accommodation office for you.

Summer support 

We can help you to find summer accommodation if you need it.

What other accommodation options are available?

Living in student accommodation is a good way to make friends at university but you might prefer to live in a private house or flat-share. You can talk through what other accommodation options are available with us or, we can book you an appointment with the University’s Residence Life Team who hold a full list of suitable properties.

Other sources of support and funding

  • Bursaries and other funding options – if you're experiencing financial difficulties there are a variety of bursaries and funds available to you, either directly through University of Plymouth or partner organisations.
  • University awards and scholarships – visit this page for information on various awards and scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.
  • Buttle UK – University of Plymouth is proud to have been awarded the Buttle UK Quality Mark, in recognition of our commitment to supporting care leavers and looked after children.
  • Become provides help, support and advice to children in care and young care leavers so that they can unleash their potential and take control of their lives. 
  • The Catch 22 National Care Advisory Service (NCAS) – the latest news and information on all issues related to leaving care and care leavers.
  • Care Leavers Association – a union of care leavers.