Welcome to your mentorship update resource for health professionals, registered nurses and midwives who support learners in practice. It is comprehensive but not exhaustive. There are signposts throughout to further reading or study. There is a mentor update quiz section within this resource and once completed you will gain a certificate to show you are up-to-date and eligible to remain on the Live Register of Mentors.
If you have not visited this site before or you are undertaking a mentorship course please take some time to read the different sections, otherwise feel free to skip directly to your desired section.
Certain sections of this resource require sound; you will need to ensure that your machine is able to play sound (i.e. you will need speakers or headphones).
On completion of the resource you should have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- reflected on your current role as a mentor/PPE
- identified the responsibility of all parties regarding the practice assessment process
- identified and reviewed professional standards for supporting learning and assessment in practice (HCPC, 2009, NMC, 2008) in relation to your practice
- identified support mechanisms available to mentors/supervisors
- increased your understanding of your accountability and responsibility as a mentor/supervisor in the light of current evidence
- gained understanding on how to apply best practice throughout the assessment process
- enhanced knowledge of quality monitoring processes
- identified opportunities to participate in monitoring the quality of practice placements.