March is Brain Tumour Awareness Month with various activities taking place across Plymouth University. The University is in partnership with the charity Brain Tumour Research, and houses a Brain Tumour Research Centre of Excellence.
Brain tumour research is a critically underfunded area of cancer research and so the whole month of March is dedicated to raising vital funds and awareness of the disease so that the teams working in laboratories, such as at the Centre of Excellence at Plymouth University, can continue in their research towards treatments and cures.
Activities for this year’s Brain Tumour Awareness Month include:
- 1 March: 1 minute silence at John Bull Building (wreath laying by the Brain Tumour Research Team including Professor Oliver Hanemann and Peter Jordan from the
Brain Tumour Research
charity in memoriam of those we’ve lost to brain tumours)
- 4 March: Black & Gold Ball at Churston Court Hotel supporting Wear A Hat Day
- 5 March: Plymouth Stairmaster challenge
- 6 March: Charity Bake Sale in the John Bull Building (part of the Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry's Professional Services Fundraising Challenge for
Brain Tumour Research)
- 7 March: The Devon Junior and Minor League are delighted to be working with Plymouth Argyle for the second #DJMTakeOver Home Park event. Sponsored by Bidvest, the event will see 2,500 players and coaches from the league watch the game, with Argyle Ladies raising money for Brain Tumour Research.
- 18 March: Plymouth Argyle vs Morecambe football match (Brain Tumour Research
charity bucket collection). Young Charlotte is a self-declared ‘Brain Tumour
Warrior’ and has a fundraising target of £20k for Brain Tumour Research after
being diagnosed at the age of 15. Charlotte has been invited onto the pitch
this Saturday to help form the Guard of Honour.
- 18 and 19 March: Lions Club of Plymouth Swimarathon 2017 at Saltash Swimming Pool (teams complete as many lengths of the 25m pool as possible in a 50 minute relay to raise money for chosen charities; this includes a Professional Services team from the Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry who are aiming to raise money for Brain Tumour Research. Contact Jim Stevens (+44 (0)1752 930339 / firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information about the event)
- 19 March: Two brave interns, Danielle Stearn and Michael Todd are taking to the skies for a sponsored skydive for Brain Tumour Research. They’ve raised £1,202!! Well done Danielle and Michael. Update (20 March): unfortunately due to unfavourable weather conditions, the skydive has been postponed to 30 April - fingers crossed for our interns then!
- 30 March: Our amazing Staff Cleaning Team continue to fundraise in loving memory of their colleague, John McMahon, with an Easter Raffle. Raffle tickets can be purchased from RLB Reception on 30th March between 08:00 – 13:00 with the draw taking place on 7th April. Prize donations welcome. Contact email@example.com.
- 31 March: Wear A Hat Day previous activities. We’ll be having donation boxes in our cafes to show our support for the University’s Brain Tumour Research Centre of Excellence.
If you have any activities you wish to include
as part of Brain Tumour Awareness Month please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.