Organisations including Plymouth City Council, Plymouth University, Barclays, Plymouth Citybus and Plymouth Community Healthcare are taking part in events throughout Dementia Awareness Week (17-23 May 2015) to raise awareness of dementia and encourage individuals and organisations to become more dementia friendly.
Events taking place include:
Monday 18 May
- 10am -11am (Barclays, Armada Way): Dementia Friends session open to staff, public and local businesses.
- 12.30pm - 3.30pm (Plympton Library): Drop-in for advice and support about dementia for anyone living with it and their carers.
Wednesday 20 May
- All day (Place de Brest, City centre): Plymouth Citybus Disability Awareness Day – A bus will be parked with Dementia Friends sessions open to all plus representatives from various other organisations such as Oral Health CIC, Nash and Co Solicitors, Plymouth Stroke Association, Devon Fire and Rescue, and Devon and Cornwall Police.
- All day (Barclays, Armada Way): ‘Tea and Teach’. Sessions will be taking place to help anyone, including those living with dementia, with any IT questions relating to PC, tablet, or smartphone use.
Thursday 21 May
- 10am – 4pm (City centre piazza by the big screen): Alzheimer’s Society Baked Off Event. People will bring baked goods to be judged by Commodore Ian Shipperly at noon. Alzheimer’s Society staff will be on hand also to provide information and advice to anyone living with dementia.
- Afternoon (Barclays, Armada Way): A dementia related event is being planned in the branch.
Friday 22 May
- 10am – 1pm (Plymstock Library): Coffee morning for anyone living with dementia and their carers. There will be help and advice available from the Alzheimer’s Society, the opportunity to reminisce with old images and artefacts and to make a memory box to take home.
- 11am – 2pm (Barclays, Armada Way): The Wills Centre will have a pop-up shop in branch to advise on issues around powers of attorney.
- Devon County Show: Ian Sherriff (Academic Partnership Lead for Dementia at Plymouth University and Chairman of Plymouth Dementia Action Alliance) and Claire Puckey (Dementia Lead, Plymouth City Council) will be giving information and holding a Dementia Friends session for members of the public.
Call 01752 398922 for more information on Dementia Awareness Week.