It’s no news that the healthcare workforce is facing major challenges. There has been increasing recognition that health system effectiveness and improvements in population health are critically dependent on an appropriately skilled, supported and deployed healthcare workforce.
At the University of Plymouth we train and support professionals across almost every different healthcare group, providing the largest range of healthcare programmes in the South West.
Our world-leading research investigates workforce sustainability, seeking to address the critical questions and develop tangible solutions that have an international impact.
We’ll share the latest research around education, recruitment, retention and regulation of healthcare professionals that address real life concerns for the sector, with discussions and Q&A’s for the audience to delve into the topics at hand.
This is a unique opportunity to engage with the cutting-edge research that spans so many areas in one place, providing a vital platform to understanding what works – and what doesn’t – in sustaining the healthcare workforce.
08:30 - 09:00
Registration and coffee on arrival
09:05 - 9:50
Professor Jen Cleland, Centre of Healthcare Education Research and Innovation, University of Aberdeen
09:50 - 10:30
Session one: Selection and training
Are we training the right people in the right way? Exploring selection and training with presentations followed by Q&A on:
- Will widening participation ameliorate speciality workforce shortages? - Dr Paul Lambe
- Peninsula Dental School: Educating dental professionals together for better patient care - Dr Daniel Zahra, Clare McIlwaine and Louise Bellfield
- Preparing the workforce for a digital future - Dr Arunangsu Chatterjee and Professor Ray Jones
- Sustainability in the curriculum - Janet Kelsey and Dr Andy Nichols.
Tea and coffee break
11:00 - 11:45
Session two: Performance in the workplace
How do we promote and sustain professional capability? Exploring performance in the workplace with presentations followed by Q&A on:
- Developing advanced practice competencies across Europe: the INACTIC study - Professor Ruth Endacott
- Preparing for practice by educating for capability - Sally Hanks
- Predicting performance in anaesthesia training - Dr Tom Gale
11:45 - 12:30
Session three: Retention
How do we minimise workforce attrition and promote wellbeing? Exploring retention with presentations followed by Q&A on:
- The role of regulation in workforce sustainability - Marie Bryce
- What’s working in remediation interventions to keep doctors in practice? - Dr Tristan Price and Dr Nicola Brennan
- Promoting well-being and developing resilience: approaches and outcome measures - Pam Rae and Professor Ruth Endacott.
12.30 - 13:30
Lunch and networking
Who is this event for?
This event is suitable for local healthcare professionals in the NHS and other providers, including charities. It would also be of interest to researchers and academics in healthcare, and members of national professional bodies.