This 20 credit degree-level module has been designed as a specialist bolt on module to enhance your cardiothoracic knowledge and skills within a critical care environment. It will allow recognition of the specialist skills required to manage a complex post-operative cardiac patient and enable you to develop knowledge and skills based on the integration of evidence-based theory and practice.
The module will cover:
- cardiothoracic anatomy and physiology of various
- cardio-pulmonary bypass
- advanced ECG and pacing diagnosis and management
- multidisciplinary team approach to cardiac life
support and the open chest simulation
- fluid management of the cardiac patient
- cardiothoracic trauma case studies and current
research within cardiothoracic surgery
- IABP counter pulsation therapy
- advanced cardiac monitoring techniques pros and
To be eligible for this module you must have already achieved a critical care/specialist ITU course or a cardiothoracic course and be currently working in a critical care unit in order to meet the module learning outcomes.
This module can be studied as a standalone module or as an optional module towards some of our BSc (Hons) Professional Development pathways – please contact the Professional Development Unit for further information.
This module is delivered by University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust in partnership with the University of Plymouth.