Information governance at University of Plymouth is the management of information through a co-ordinated approach of policies and procedures.
Part of this framework is knowing the following about the University’s information:
- what information the University has
- who is responsible for the information
- where the information is located
- how long does the information need to kept.
The primary aim of information governance is to ensure both paper and electronic information are treated appropriately. In particular, it ensures:
- compliance with legal and regulatory obligations
- protection of individuals’ privacy
- information is current and accurate
- risks of information security breaches are minimised.