Coastal Processes Impact Assessment for Ireland’s ‘Westwave’ Wave Energy Test Site
Location: Co. Clare, Ireland
Project dates: August 2016 – October 2017
Clients: Electricity Supply Board of Ireland
of background wave climate and coastal processes
modelling of nearshore wave conditions and tidal currents
modelling of wave energy converters and potential wave shadow
modelling of beach morphology under an altered wave climate
Mapping of Exmouth seafront using shallow water vessel and single beam echo sounder
Location: Exmouth Seafront, UK
Project dates: March 2018
Clients: Lewis Brown Chartered Land Surveyors
- Single beam bathymetric survey for 400m section of seafront
- Specialist shallow survey vessel used to overlap with intertidal data
- Data provided for coastal sea defence
of waves and water levels in the Tamar estuary
Location: Tamar estuary, Plymouth, UK
Project dates: October 2017
Clients: Geo Consulting Engineering Ltd.
- Compute design wave and water levels in the Tamar estuary
- Hindcast fetch- and depth-limited historic wave time series from wind data
- Compute maximum wave runup and still water level in the estuary
- Conduct Extreme Value Analysis (EVA) on wave height and total water level
Mapping of nearshore current circulation around Ventnor Haven entrance
Location: Ventnor Haven, UK
Project dates: December 2016 - February 2017
Clients: Royal Haskoning DHV
- GPS drifter study of nearshore currents.
- Analysis of contrasting wave and tide conditions.
- Quantification of current speed and flow direction.
- Data provided to help validate a numerical model.
"Great work you did there CMAR and great to work with you on such a complex issue"
Improving SEPA’s national coastal flood hazard dataset
Location: Scotland, UK
Project dates: June 2016 - August 2016
Clients: CREW, Scotland’s Centre of Expertise for Waters, and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA)
- Desk-based study to investigate ways to better incorporate wave setup and runup, and wind setup components in SEPA's coastal flood risk maps.
- Review of scientific, peer-reviewed literature on coastal flood modelling.
"CMAR provided us with high quality advice with an excellent understanding of our requirements. The work was delivered on time and to a high standard. I would have no hesitation in recommending the team. Many thanks!"
Quantification of beach risk in The UK and Republic of Ireland
Location: Desk-based study
Project dates: October 2014 – July 2015
Client: Royal National Lifeboat Institution
- Generation of an agreed list of British beaches.
- Identification and collation of relevant and feasible risk-related beach parameters.
- Statistical predictions of beach user numbers, beach hazard, and overall life risk at 644 beaches.
Topographic rip currents around coastal groyne structures
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Project dates: October 2012
Clients: Royal National Lifeboat Institution and the UK Met Office
- Ten day field experiment.
- Observation from both fixed instruments (wave, tide and current meters) and GPS-drifters.
- Quantification of topographic rip currents and rip circulation patterns.
- Calibration and validation of a numerical model (XBeach).
Analysis of wave loading on sea defences
Location: Fistral beach, Newquay, UK
Project dates: December 2014
Client: Geo Consulting Engineering
- Estimation of wave set-up at the structure from nearshore wave buoy measurements.
- Prediction of tidal elevation using a calibrated harmonic method.
- Estimation of 1 per cent exceedance atmospheric (wind and inverse barometric effect) surge statistics using tide gauge data and a Monte Carlo method.
- Weibull analysis of a peak wave height time series to predict the 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 year return significant wave heights at the structure toe for different toe depth scenarios.
South Efford marsh monitoring
Location: South Efford
Project dates: 2012 – 2016
Client: Environment Agency
- Modelling frequency and duration of tidal inundation.
- Regular terrestrial laser scanning of entire salt marsh.
- Analysis of sediment and seed deposition.
- Ecological monitoring including plant survey.
- Marsh surface samples for foraminiferal analysis.
Perranporth beach bathymetry survey
Location: Perranporth, Cornwall, UK.
Project dates: May 2014
Client: Southampton University
- Combined supratidal and subtidal survey.
- Single-beam bathymetric survey.
- RTK-GPS topographic survey.
Assessing the performance of Boscombe artificial surfing reef
Location: Boscombe, Bournemouth, UK
Project dates: May 2010
Client: Bournemouth Borough Council
- Wave refraction modelling over the measured reef bathymetry to examine wave focusing and breaking on the reef.
- Surfer mounted Global Positioning System (GPS) data recorded during surfing sessions at the reef and the beaches next to Boscombe pier.
- Tidal height predictions, providing estimates of water level on the reef during observations.
- Observation of surfer numbers on the reef and pier beaches taken by Seafront Rangers.