Dr Cathy Coelho
Associate Professor (Education)
Peninsula Dental School (Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry)
General Dental Council
Roles on external bodies
General Dental Council’s External Examiner for ORE (Overseas Registration Examination)
I believe teaching should be engaging, active and thought provoking to be effective. I have studied adult learning theories in the literature and use evidence-based strategies to underpin my teaching style.
I deliver a wide range of teaching within Peninsula Dental School, mainly based on clinical dentistry to both the Dentistry programme and the Dental Therapy and Hygiene programme.
I am especially proud of the impact I have had on students who are struggling to be successful, by designing and implementing an academic remediation process that has both short-term and long-term positive impacts on student outcomes.
Staff serving as external examiners
General Dental Council's External Examiner for ORE (Overseas Registration Examination)
My research is mainly educationally based around clinical dental education.
The dissertation for my Masters in Clinical Education used qualitative methodology to evaluate patient and student perceptions around patients giving feedback to dental students on their communication skills.
Grants & contracts
2014 University of Plymouth PedRIO grant
Reports & invited lectures
Academic Remediation for struggling students
C. Coelho, D. Zahra, K. Ali and C. Tredwin; "To accept or decline academic remediation; what difference does it make?” Medical Teacher 3rd April 2019.
C. Coelho and M. Mead; "Sepsis: the applicability to dental care professionals". British Dental Journal, 2018; 225: 1078-1081.
Dental Foundation Dentists
S. Hanks, C. Coelho and R. Coster; Prepared for practice and equipped for employment: what do dental foundation dentists think of their trainees?. British Dental Journal, 2018; 225(6), 549-555.
C. Coelho; “Facilitating facilitators to facilitate in problem or enquiry-based sessions”.Journal of Problem Based Learning in Higher Education, 2014;2(1), 4-10.
The Spiral Curriculum
C. Coelho and D.Moles; “Student perceptions of a spiral curriculum”. European Journal of Dental Education, 2016.20(3) 161-166.
Academic performance in students with specific learning disabilities
K. Ali, D. Zahra,C. Coelho, G. Jones and C. Tredwin; "Academic performance of undergraduate dental students with learning disabilities". British Dental Journal,2017;222(3) 205-208.
Using patients as educators
C. Coelho, J.Pooler and H. Lloyd; "Using patients as educators for communication skills; Exploring dental students and patients views". European Journal of Dental Education, 2017;00:1-9.
Communication in a clinical setting
C. Coelho, R. Witton and w. Smith; Assisting communication in the dental setting: a student team working initiative with stroke patients. Journal of Disability and oral Health. 2018; 19(1): 10-13
Posters and Presentations
1. Poster: C.Coelho and S. Hanks; Closing the loop on feedback – using student voice to enhance student experience. At Vice Chancellor’s Teaching and Learning Conference, Plymouth University, 28th June 2013.
2. Poster: C.Coelho and S. Hanks; Pioneering near peer learning events to empower student development towards employment. At Vice Chancellor’s Teaching and Learning Conference, Plymouth University, 27th June 2014.
3. Poster: C.Coelho, S. Hanks and P, Schoenborn; What do dental trainers think of the preparedness for practice of dental graduates? At PedRIO Annual Conference 17th April 2015.
4. Poster: C. Coelho: Student led plenaries. At 2015 PUPSMD Education Conference, April 2015.
5. Short oral presentation and poster: C. Coelho; “A critical appraisal of the literature oncommunication skills training in dentistry” at 2015 international Associationfor Dental Education in Europe conference in Hungary.
6. Short oral presentation and poster: S. Hanks, C .Coelho, P. Schoenborn and R. Coster;“Dental Foundation Trainers’ (DFT) perception of the “Preparedness for Practice” of new dental graduates” at 2015 international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference in Hungary
7. Short oral presentation and poster: C .Coelho; “A qualitative study to explore the issues for patients when giving feedback on the communication skills of dental students”at 2015 British Society of Dental Research national conference in Cardiff, UK.
8. Short oral presentation and poster: C. Coelho; “Shifting academically failing or under-performing dental students to succeeding ones” at 2016 international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference in Barcelona.
9. Short oral presentation and poster; C. Coelho, S.Hanks; “Does science knowledge learnt in problem or enquiry-based learning sessions transfer to other learning spaces?” at 2016 international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference in Barcelona.
10.Short oral presentation and poster : S. Hanks, C. Coelho;“Evaluating the DayBook: Long Distance View of the Educational Impact of a Teaching and Learning Resource” at 2016 international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference in Barcelona.
11. Short oral presentation and e-poster: C. Coelho, P. Trimble and P. Ward: "Evaluation of inter-professional learning with dental and law students using problem-based learning methodology" at 2018 international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference in Oslo.
Other academic activities
Awarded the 2016 ADEE (Association for Dental Education in Europe Excellence in Teaching Award (Early Career Educator).