Dr Oliver Tills
Teaching and Research Associate (Marine Biology)
School of Biological and Marine Sciences (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Teaching and Research Associate in the School of Biological and Marine Science
Roles on external bodies
- Tills O, Spicer JI, Grimmer A, Marini S, Jie VW, Tully E, Rundle SD. 2018. A high-throughput and open-source platform for embryo phenomics. PLoS Biology, in press.
- Spicer JI, Tills O, Truebano M, Rundle SD. 2018. Developmental Plasticity and Heterokairy. Book Chapter In: Development and Environment, Springer, Switzerland. Eds: Burggren W, Dubansky B.
- Tills O, Truebano M, Feldmeyer B, Pfenninger M, Morgenroth H, Schell T, et al. 2018. Transcriptomic responses to predator kairomones in embryos of the aquatic snail Radix balthica. Ecology and Evolution. 201831:79–12.
- Truebano M, Fenner P, Tills O, Rundle SD, Rezende EL. 2018. Thermal strategies vary with life history stage. Journal of Experimental Biology 221: jeb171629–5.
- Truebano M, Tills O, Collins M, Clarke C, Shipsides E, Wheatley C, et al. 2018. Short-term acclimation in adults does not predict offspring acclimation potential to hypoxia. Scientific Reports, 8:1-9.
- Schell T, Feldmeyer B, Schmidt H, Greshake B, Tills O, Truebano M, Rundle SD, Paule S, Ebersberger I, Pfenninger M 2017. An annotated draft genome for Radix auricularia (Gastropoda, Mollusca). Genome Biology and Evolution 9: 585-592.
- Tills O, Sun X, Rundle SD, Heimbach T, Gibson T, Cartwright A, Palmer M, Rudin-Bitterli T & Spicer JI 2016. Reduced pH affects pulsing behavior and body size in ephrae of the moon jellyfish, Aurelia aurita. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 480: 54-61.
- Truebano M, Tills O& Spicer JI 2016. Embryonic transcriptome of the brackishwater amphipod Gammarus chevreuxi. Marine Genomics 28: 5-6
- Tills O, Truebano M & Rundle SD 2015. An embryonic transcriptome of the pulmonate snail Radix balthica. Marine Genomics 24: 259-260.
- Rudin-Bitterli TS, Tills O, Spicer JI, Culverhouse PF, Wielhouwer EM, Richardson MK & Rundle SD 2014. Combining motion analysis and microfluidics – A novel approach for detecting whole- animal responses to test substances. PloS ONE 9: e113235.
- Tills O, Bitterli T, Culverhouse P, Spicer JI & Rundle SD 2013. A novel application of motion analysis for detecting stress responses in embryos at different stages of development. BMC Bioinformatics 14: 37.
- Tills O, Rundle SD & Spicer JI 2013. Variance in developmental event timing is greatest at low biological levels: implications for heterochrony. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 110: 581-590.
- Tills O, Rundle SD & Spicer JI 2013. Parent-offspring similarity in the timing of developmental events: an origin of heterochrony? Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 280: 1769.
- Spicer JI, Rundle SD & Tills O2011. Studying the altered timing of physiological events during development: It’s about time, or is it? Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology 178: 3-12.
- Tills O, Rundle SD, Culverhouse P, Spicer JI & Bitterli TS 2011. Method and system for determining characteristics of an embryo and uses thereof. Patent, World Intellectual Property Organization.
- Tills O, Rundle SD, Salinger M, Haun T, Pfenninger M & Spicer JI 2011. A genetic basis for intraspecific differences in developmental timing? Evolution and Development 13: 542-548.
- Tills O, Spicer JI & Rundle SD 2010. Salinity-induced heterokairy in an upper-estuarine population of the snail Radix balthica. Aquatic Biology 9: 95-105.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Other academic activities
- New Scientist website – http://newscientist.com/article/dn24078-timelapse-footage-shows-snail-embryo-in-high-geat.html
- Reuters Innovations - http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/10/16/bio-imaging-system-spawns-new-theories-o?videoId=274050528- Phys.org – http://phys.org/news/2013-08-bio-imaging-technology-peers-heart-embryo.html- Txchnologist – http://txchnologist.com/post/58930740096/time-lapse-videos-of-aquatic-embryos-give-insight
- Technology.org – http://www.technology.org/2013/08/21/new-bio-imaging-technology-peers-into-the-heart-of-embryo-development/
- VisEmbryo.com - http://visembryo.com/story1750.html
- TheKidsShouldSeeThis.org - http://www.thekidshouldseethis.com/post/61420552160
- 2012 Forms Most Beautiful, Plymouth Museum -https://www.flickr.com/photos/plymouthmuseums/sets/72157629329837350- 2013 - Peninsula Gallery, PU – Transpositions – an exhibit based around the innovative use of video to explore the role of environmental perturbations during the course of an organism’s development - http://www.deborah-robinson.net/transpositions.- 2012 - Portland Square Building, University of Plymouth – Atria – an interactive exhibit combining sound and video to explore the changes an embryo undergoes in its cardiac function during the developmental process - http://www.davidstrang.co.uk/atria.html.
Videos of developing aquatic embryos produced in our lab
A technological platform I have led the development of for quantifying the phenome of aquatic embryos. It consists of:
- OpenVIM http://www.openvim.org. An open-source video microscope
- EmbryoCV http://www.embryocv.org. A high-throughput Python package for automated quantification of complex developmental traits.