Mr Toby Chanter
School of Humanities and Performing Arts (Faculty of Arts and Humanities)
Role· PhD Candidate - Digital Arts Practice in Medical Education (immersion & interaction) (2017-present)
· MA Medical Anthropology - School of Oriental and African Studies (2015)
· Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
· Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP)
· British Acupuncture Council (BAcC)
· Acupuncture Association of Chartered Physiotherapists (AACP)
· Society of Musculoskeletal Medicine (SOMM)
Research interests· Medical culture(s) and education
Grants & contracts
· Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) / National Productivity and Investment Fund (NPIF) 3-year Stipendiary Doctoral Research Funding, 2017 - 2020.
· Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Student Development Fund. £640 awarded to attend POSTHUMAN KNOWLEDGE(S) conference, Utrecht University, Netherlands, August 2019.
Other academic activities
· “Immateriality in The Clinic: Legitimising Arts Practice in the Production of Medical Knowledge”.
Presented at Association of Medical Humanities Annual Conference: Material Medicine: Objects, Bodies and the Haptic, 26 – 28 June 2019, University of Plymouth.
· “The Corporeal Envelope: Immersion and Digitally Mediated Embodiment”.
Presented at Performance. Experience. Presence Conference, 26- 27 October 2018, University of Plymouth.
· “Auto-Ethnography: The Role of Patient Narrative and The Challenges of Qualitative Methodologies in Medical Research”.
Presented at Methodological Innovations Annual Conference: Contemporary, Collaborative and Creative Approaches to Research Questions, 25 May 2017, University of Plymouth.
3d3Research Student Profiles