YOUR PORTFOLIO TELLS US ABOUT YOU...
What is it?
A portfolio is a record of your creative potential. Be selective and include only the things that will make an impression:
- Think creatively (this should be shown with examples of the ideas and interests underlying your work).
- Use relevant graphic and written communication techniques and skills (this should be demonstrated in the techniques you use in your work).
- Think critically (this should be shown in the work you select and how you have put it together as a coherent package).
For general guidance, we have prepared some notes and suggestions for you.
Demonstrate your abilities above by including as wide a range of work as possible. This might include (note - you are not required to show all of the following):
- Drawings; for example, freehand sketches, life drawing, orthographic drawings (plans, sections and elevations, such as typically used in architectural drawings), and /or 3D architectural drawings (perspectives or axonometrics)
- Collages / montages
- Graphic design
- Photographs of models / 3D work
- Pages from sketchbooks
- Poster designs
- Sketch studies of designs
- Photography; this may include both art-based work and photographs taken whilst visiting buildings or places.
- Precedent studies (i.e. studies using annotated sketches, diagrams or photographs to analyse buildings or artefacts, such as artwork).
- Creative writing; for example, poetry and stories
- Research studies.
It’s very important that the portfolio contains work illustrating your creativity and not just your technical ability.
In your graphic work show evidence of your ability to use a wide range of materials and media, this might include: acrylics, charcoal, collage, ink, oil, pencil, and photography.
You should include a minimum of ten pieces of work (ten images as digital files), up to a maximum of 15 pieces of work (15 images as digital files).
There should be a balance of both graphic and written work, although we would expect to see a minimum of at least five pieces of graphic work. These can be anything you wish to include from the above list.